Skip to content
  • home
  • map
  • search
Capturing Cambridge
  • search
  • Facebook
  • X
  • Instagram
  • Home
  • /
  • Projects
  • /
  • Centre Cambridge
  • /
  • St Tibb's Row
  • Back Forward
A three-story brick building with a Foister & Jagg signage board above a storefront at the corner of a cobbled street.

Foister & Jagg, St Andrew Hill (MoC257/60)

8 St Andrew’s Hill / 7 St Tibb’s Row (St Andrew’s the Great Workhouse)

St Andrew's The Great Workhouse

1829 St Andrew’s Workhouse

Detailed 19th-century map fragment showing buildings in pink, streets in yellow, and labels including St Andrew's Hill.

Excerpt from 1886 OS Map showing the St Andrew the Great Workhouse north of St Andrew’s Hill (marked Smithy)

The building that encompasses 8 St Andrew’s Hill and 7 St Tibb’s Row was built in around 1829 as St Andrew’s the Great Workhouse. After the Poor Law reform in 1836 it was used for the reception of about 30 married couples and aged women.

In 1838 it was sold to a shoeing smith. This may have been George Waters but we have no listing until 1851.


St Andrew the Great Parish Workhouse, Cambridge
Founded in 1756, the workhouse of St Andrew the Great became one of Cambridge’s best documented parish institutions. Although established to provide employment for the poor, Murphy notes that by the late eighteenth century its inmates were predominantly elderly, sick or orphaned people who required care rather than work. The institution reflects the gradual transformation of workhouses from centres of labour into places providing long-term welfare.

Source: Michael J. Murphy, Poverty in Cambridgeshire.


1851 (Gardner Directory of Cambridge)

George Waters and Son, Blacksmiths and Veterinary Surgeon, St Andrew’s Hill

1869 (Kelly)

George Waters, veterinary surgeon, 8 St. Andrew’s Hill

1878 (Spalding)

8 St Andrew’s Hill
George Waters, veterinary surgeon
Charles Oddy, dealer in old clothes

St Tibb’s Row
George Waters, shoeing smith (forge), and veterinary surgeon

A newspaper clipping titled Notice of Removal for George Waters, a veterinary surgeon moving to 8 St Andrew's Hill.

Cambridge Independent – 09 November 1878

1891

Printed text from a newspaper advertisement for George Waters, a veterinary surgeon based on St. Tibbs Row, Cambridge.

Cambridge Daily News – 12 January 1891


1904 (Spalding’s)

St Andrew’s Hill

Artistic Sign Union
8 National Telephone Company’s Stores
8a Hanks, RC, inspector, Pearl Insurance Company

St Tibb’s Row

Temporary Premises of the Town and County Liberal Club
Livery Stables


1911 Artistic Sign Union

A brick building with sign-writing on its exterior and a bicycle leaning against the shop front on a narrow cobbled street.

St Andrew’s Hill, work house, 1911 (photo H P Stokes)


1913 (Spalding)

8 St Andrew’s Hill

Artistic Sign Union

St Tibb’s Row

Law’s Livery stables, Law, H. B. & Law, A. B.
Biggs, J. J., robe maker


1915 “Destructive Fire”

A newspaper clipping from 5 March 1915 with columns of text reporting on a fire at a factory in St Tibb's Row, Cambridge.

Cambridge Independent – 05 March 1915


1916 (Kelly)

8 St Andrew’s Hill

Artistic Sign Union, Fred Chapman, manager
Josiah Jas. Biggs, robe ma

St Tibb’s Row

Law Herbt. B., livery stables


1960 Foister & Jagg Printers (8 St Andrew’s Hill)

A three-story brick building with a Foister & Jagg signage board above a storefront at the corner of a cobbled street.

Foister & Jagg, St Andrew Hill (MoC257/60)

The sign on the building says Lion Hotel & Garage, the entrance to the Lion Yard was immediately to the north of the building on St Tibb’s Row and is just visible on the left of this photo..

At the start of the 20th century Foister & Jagg were within the Old Corn Exchange Building.


1962

8a St Andrews Hill: Speedy Shoe Repair


1967 (Kelly)

7 St Tibb’s Row (empty)
8a St Andrews Hill: Speedy Shoe Repair
8 St Andrew’s Hill: Cosmo’s Café


1969 Cosimo’s Cafe Italiana (8 St Andrew’s Hill)

A man walks past the brick facade of Cosimo's Casa Italiana on St Andrew's Hill, featuring a prominent entrance and sign.

8 St Andrew’s Hill, Cosimo’s Italian Cafe (former workhouse)(MoC39/69)

The brick frontage of Cosimo's Casa Italiana with a prominent sign above the door and a closed sign visible in the window.

Cosimo’s Casa Italiana, 1971 (Peter Soar)


1970 Central Watch Craft (8a St Andrews Hill)

A row of brick buildings with a shop corner on the right, adjacent to an empty fenced plot and a no through road street sign.

7 St Tibb’s Row / 8 St Andrew’s Hill, (MoCPB139.82)

A narrow brick building labeled Central Watch Craft stands on a street with a tall construction crane towering over it.

Central Watch Craft, 1971 (Peter Soar)

A narrow street paved with snow, lined by brick buildings including one marked Central Watch Craft at 8 St Andrew's Hill.

Looking south to back of 7 St Tibb’s Row, 1971 (Peter Soar)

Tags

  • Peter Soar
  • workhouse

Projects

  • St Andrew's Hill
  • St Tibb's Row

Share this article

Share onFacebook Share onBluesky

Contribute

Do you have any information about the people or places in this article? If so, then please let us know using the Contact page or by emailing capturingcambridge@museumofcambridge.org.uk.

Licence

This work is licensed under CC BY-NC-SA 4.0 not including content on external links as indicated byexternal link.

St Tibb's Row

Huntingdon Union Workhouse

The George / The George and Dragon / La Mimosa, Richmond Terrace

18 Petty Cury, Cambridge

St Andrew’s Hill (Hog Hill) (Beast Market), Old Corn Exchange

7 St Andrew’s Hill

2 St Andrew’s Hill (The Bun Shop), Cambridge

St Andrew’s Hill – Mapping Relief

Corn Exchange Court (St Andrew’s Hill)

9-10 St Andrew’s Hill