St Andrew's Hill corner with Downing Street c1960
St Andrew’s Hill, Old Corn Exchange
History of St Andrew's Hill
St Andrew’s Hill had vanished under the Grand Arcade complex by the end of the 20th century.
It originally ran from opposite the Geological Museum in Downing Street NNW until it joined with St Tibb’s Row which continue almost due north towards the site of the old Post Office.
1959 Royal Commission on Historical Monuments Survey of Cambridge:
House no. 4 and shop no.3 and warehouse adjoining on the south, the last behind the premises of Messrs Barrett and Son, china and glass dealers, 25 St Andrew’s Street, the three forming a domestic’s and business unity…… Barrett’s warehouses in Jesus Lane were offered for sale as building materials in 1831 and R Barrett was ‘of St Andrew’s Hill’ in 1836. Probably therefore the present group was built c. 1830.
House no.7 …. was built in the 18th or early in the 19th century…
Houses, nos. 9 and 10, on the corner of Tibb’s Row and extending towards Corn Exchange Street …. the plan suggests a 16th-century origin. the earliest of the additions to the W is of c. 1700. The wing, probably once a separate building, is of the 17th century. The whole was remodelled and the main range refronted early in the 19th century, probably by Charles Humfrey and in 1818 when the ownership of the land on which two porches were being built was in dispute. Humfrey evidently established his right, for the porches survive and the space between them is enclosed by railings.
7 St Andrew’s Hill
Romilly records in his diary 4 July 1843:
M.L. and I went over the two dilapidated houses, gardens and 6 cottages belonging to 2 unfortunate maiden Ladies of the name of Bones who have just been removed to Bedford Asylum. Their relation (Mr Michael Headly) kindly showed us over the place: it was a melancholy exhibition: the 6 cottages were all dismantled, the gardens become a wilderness: the house in St Andrews St had never been finished, they having quarrelled with their Architect:- the house facing the Pig market was where they lived. They fancied everything was poisoned: they used to throw aside their bread after smelling to it: we saw at least 60 loaves of bread in different closets, many wrapped up in paper an dated, the greater part mouldy and hard: they had fastened down the register to their stove, tying it to the top bar, because they thought there were spies in the chimney: they did not venture to speak to each other lest they be overheard by the spies, but wrote down their thoughts on slates: they slept in the same bed: they spoke to persons from a pannel in the bedroom window: they had no servant but an occasional charwoman; they had had not changed their linen for weeks nor see the said charwoman: the elder of the 2 sisters had more than £1000 about her when taken away: they resisted very much (as might be expected) when taken away, and fled from room to room: their little dog defended them stoutly and bit the Policeman. The house and cottages that were unoccupied would let for more than £150 p.a.” in one of the gardens was the old decayed chaise of their Father (an Attorney) ….. [John Bones died in 1813 and is commemorated in a memorial tablet on the north wall of Great St Andrew’s Church.]
The story of these two sisters who lived at 7 St Andrew’s Hill was retold by Enid Porter in the Cambridge News of 31 January and 7 February 1964.
(unnumbered) Charles Henry Careless, 30, college servant, b Hampshire
Emily E, 28, b Essex
Robert, 3, b Middlesex
Annie Jane Flora, 1, b Cambridge
Mary Dawson, 18, servant, b Elsworth
Ellen Wishey, 16, servant, b Cambridge
William W Haggis, lodger, 24, college cook, b Cambridge
Charles Henry died July 1854 aged 34. He was son of James Careless.
See Mill Road Cemetery entry
Old Corn Exchange building, Cambridge (Camb.Collection)
Old Corn Exchange, St Andrew’s Hill
A rollerskating rink was opened in the old Corn Exchange.
Rollerskating in Cambridge – over 140 years of it
1913: (from Downing Street end)
Old Corn Exchange Building;
Foster & Jagg, printers and publishers
Henry Liddiard, cycle and motor depot
(1) Whitmore and Co, wine spirit and ale merchants
The Bun Shop saloon and retail bars
(3) R Barrett and Son, earthenware, china, glass and hardware merchants
(4) Herbert Dye Froment, head porter Clare College
(5) Mrs L Hobson, lodging house keeper
(6) Albert Edward Hunting, carpenter
Mrs E Hunting, lodging house keeper
Corn Exchange Court:
Barrett and Son, china, earthenware and hardware merchants
Stables: Knaster and Cox motor garage
(7) Cox and Allen, bookbinders etc
A Cox, advertising agent
(8) Summers and Sons, motor builders
Stable and warehouse, Flack and Judge Artistic Sign Union
(9) Papworth and French solicitors
Major Oliver Papworth, councillor of the Borough
(9) Frederic W French, secretary Victoria Friendly Societies’ Asylum
Percy Albert French
(10) Mrs Elizabeth Scott
(10) Mrs Elizabeth Starr Scott was reported to have died November 1918 aged 88.
St Andrew’s Hill: Whitmore & Co and The Bun Shop
1962: (from Downing Street end)
(1) The Bun Shop
(3) Barrett and Son, wholesale and retail glass
(4) Miss Dodd
(5) Mrs L Hobson
Corn Exchange Court:
Barrett and Son, wholesale and retail glass, china and hardware
(7) W S Thatcher, private tutor
(7) Elias and Co stock brokers
A Sidney Campkin and Sons, photographic apparatus
Matthew and Son Ltd
(8a) Speedy Shoe Repair