History of Downing College
Rattee and Kett worked with architects Sir Herbert Baker and Scott on various parts of the college including the chapel which was completed using Ketton Stone.
Further information about the history of the buildings in the college can be found here:
A particular feature of the college is The Heong Gallery.
Downing College and surrounds circa 1840
1845: Romilly records in his diary for 22nd June 1845:
There was a very good Horticultural Exhibition in Downing: an imitation of the Round Church. a Lilliputian garden and fountain, were among its attractions: there was a collection of electro-typed flowers…
Ed. note: With its profusion of flowers and plants, Litchfield’s tent for ices and refreshments, and the presence of a band, the show was a great success. Three glass cases sent in by a Captain Ibbetson attracted much attention with their copper flowers ‘formed by an improved electrotype process whereby their form and growth are most curiously preserved,’ and a Mr Catling was awarded a special prize of thirty shillings for his model of the Round Church decorated with flowers. Members of the British Association were admitted on their ticket; ordinary admission from 2 to 5pm was half a crown and a shilling in the evening.
1851: East Lodge
William Webster Fisher, 51, professor of medicine, b Westmoreland
John H Fisher, 56, visitor, vicar of Kirkby Lonsdale, b Westmoreland
Emma Howe, housekeeper, 38, b Norfolk
William Smith, 15, footboy, b Wisbech
William Webster Fisher
Fisher was a leading figure in the development of neuroscience at Cambridge University. (See M Weatherall, Gentlemen, Scientists and Doctors, pub 2000 p58.)
Frederick Howard Marsh
Frederick Howard Marsh, 71, professor of surgery, b Suffolk
Violet Susan, b 43, b Scotland
Ellinor Dalrymple Hay, sister in law, 49, b London
Rosalind Mary Mitchell, 59, hospital nurse, b Wales
Nellie Stewart, 29, cook, b Wales
Sarah Brown, 33, parlourmaid, b Newton
Hilda Taylor, 20, housemaid, b Stretham
Lilian Watts, 17, housemaid, b Barrington