Capturing Cambridge
  • search
  • Facebook
  • Twitter

3 Trinity Street

History of 3 Trinity Street

Trinity Street south end

An almost complete mid 18th century reconstruction of a possibly late 16th cent building. Inside there is an 18th cent staircase with turned balusters and mouldings. The cellar as a moulded ceiling beam. (1959 Royal Commission on Historical Monuments Survey of Cambridge)

1871

Francis R Hall, 43, surgeon, b Fulbourn

Frances M, 8, b Cambridge

Francis R, 6, b Cambridge

Jane Merry, 17, servant, b Orwell

William John Norman, servant, 16, errand boy, b Norwich

Elizabeth Monk, servant, 30, cook, b Beds


1881


1891


1901


1911

Robert Williams Michell, 49, medical practice, b Cornwall

Susan Langley Peachey, cook, 36, b Fen Ditton

Flora Gladys Clark, 26, b Ickleton


1913

R W Michell, MD, FRCS

……………………………………………………………….

26/7/1916: Heroic Officer. Cambridge has sustained some heavy losses during the present month, and prominent among them has been the death, through wounds, of Captain Robert W. Michell, R.A.M.C., better known to Cambridge people as Dr. Michell, he having been in practice here for some years, occupying premises in Trinity Street, nearly opposite Caius College, of which he was a member. An accomplished oarsman, he was in much request as a rowing coach. Every afternoon during Term he was to be met down the river advising either the crews of his own college or others, for Dr. Michell was always ready to give instruction to those who wished for it. He possessed a charming personality and was extremely popular with everyone who frequented the riverside. His death occurred in a private nursing home in London on Wednesday last from wounds received at the Front on July 3. Capt. Michell was wounded whilst performing an act of great gallantry, for which, we
understand, he had been recommended the Victoria Cross. (Cambridge Press)

Contribute

Do you have any information about the people or places in this article? If so, then please let us know using the Contact page or by emailing capturingcambridge@museumofcambridge.org.uk.