Capturing Cambridge
  • search
  • Facebook
  • Twitter

30 Trinity Street

History of 30 Trinity Street

Three storeys with attic. Built with no. 31 in middle of 18th century to the same design. No. 30 extended to the west to link with a cottage probably of the early 18th cent. Between 30 and 31 there is an original lead rainwater downpipes with moulded head. No. 30 has several original fittings, mouldings and fireplace surrounds.

……….

1851

Elijah Johnson, 52, bookseller, b Cambridge

Elizabeth, 44, b Cambs

John E, 20, b Cambridge

Emma, 19, b Cambridge

Frederick, 16, b Cambridge

Octavius, 10, b Cambridge

Alfred, 9, b Cambridge

Franks, 7, b Cambridge

Ralph, 5, b Cambridge

Cyrus, 3, b Cambridge

Harriet Midson, 28, servant, b Essex

Naomi Day, 23, servant, b Melbourn

…………………………………………………………………

1891

Octavius Johnson, brother, 50, librarian, b Cambridge

Louisa Wisby, servant, 61, b Shelford


1901


1911

Charles Macan Rice, 41, clerk in orders chaplain of Kings, b Surrey


1913

Elijah Johnson, new and secondhand bookseller

Sidney Johnson

Rev C M Rice, MA, Chaplain King’s College

……………………………………………………………………………….

28/2/1925: We regret to announce the death of Mr Cyrus Johnson, the well-known portrait painter. He was the youngest son of the late Mr Elijah Johnson who founded the Cambridge bookselling firm in Trinity Street. Born at Cambridge he was educated at the Perse school and afterwards studied in Paris. He exhibited at the Royal Academy as a portrait painter in 1877 in which branch of art he achieved much distinction. He resided in Cambridge from 1916 until last year. (Cam. Press)

Contribute

Do you have any information about the people or places in this article? If so, then please let us know using the Contact page or by emailing capturingcambridge@museumofcambridge.org.uk.