74 / 73 (75) Trumpington Street, Randall House, Kenmare House
History of 74 Trumpington Street
Royal Commission Survey of Cambridge 1959: known in the 18th century as Randall House, it occupies the site of Cotton Hall, which was sold in 1768 to John Randall. It consists of a long range, parallel with the street, some 15ft back from the present building line, that was built in the third quarter of the 18th century; incorporated is a small central W wing of earlier date, possibly a part of the building shown in Logan’s survey of 1688.
The street from of Kenmare presents an interesting and unusual composition including four Palladian windows. The admirable contemporary railings enclosing the small forecourt were taken for scrap metal during the 1939-45 war.
(West Side) House adjoining No 74 on the North TL 4458 SE 6/204 II 2. Part of No 74. C18. 2 storeys; red brick; tile roof; stone band below parpet; symmetrically designed front; 3 windows (middle blocked); round- headed door with fanlight; glazing bars missing from ground floor window.
The Cotton Hall on this site was sold by Pike, a wool-stapler of Bedford, to John Randall Mus.Doc, organist of King’s College and professor of music. Randall rebuilt the old Hall.
For more information about John Randall:
Cambridge Professors of Music, 1684 – 1821
James Hough, 53, general practitioner, b India
[James Hough in 1876 when he was in contact with the murderer Robert Browning was surgeon to Cambridge Town Gaol]
Eliza, 44, b Cambridge
Anna L, 12, b Cambridge
William W, 11, b Cambridge
Emily S, 2, b Cambridge
Frances Pledger, 39, cook, b Cambridge
Elizabeth Fitch, 29, nurse, b Suffolk
Lane Owen, 18, housemaid, b Cambridge
Isabella Burford, 19, housemaid, b Cambridge
Charles Cooper, 16, errand boy, b Bourn
James Hough, 73, general practitioner, b India
1913: Kenmare House
(73-74) Mrs Bromley Johnson, boarding house
Dr Ezard, surgery
1962 – 1982:
University of Cambridge Department of Estate Management