Capturing Cambridge
  • search
  • Facebook
  • Twitter
At the Pike and Eel after the Race

110 Water Street, Pike and Eel Public House

History of 110 Water Street

Pike and Eel ferry

Pike and Eeel Ferry in 1928 (Cambridgeshire Collection)

Pike and Eel ferries 1928 (Cambs. Collection)

Queen Mother visits the Pike and Eel

Queen Mother visits the Pike and Eel

The Bumps Fair was held every June in a field off Fen Road nearby.

Bumps Fair c.1925 (Cambs Collection)

Bumps Fair c.1925 (Cambs Collection)

‘Three Abreast Gallopers’ built by Savages of King’s Lynn and bought by Henry Thurston in 1901; Bumps Fair c.1925 (Cambs Collection)

Dreadnought traction engine bought in 1909 to drive Three Abreast Gallopers. Photo is circa 1925. (Cambs Collection)

The Pike and Eel, lately known as the Penny Ferry, closed in in 2008 and was demolished in 2014.

Contribute

Do you have any information about the people or places in this article? If so, then please let us know using the Contact page or by emailing capturingcambridge@museumofcambridge.org.uk.