Skip to content
  • home
  • map
  • search
Capturing Cambridge
  • search
  • Facebook
  • X
  • Instagram
  • Home
  • /
  • Projects
  • /
  • East Cambridge­shire
  • /
  • Ely
  • Back Forward

Guest Quarters of the Monastery, Ely

History of the Monastery Guest Quarters

Listed Building

The guest quarters of the monastery, now part of King’s School, comprises two ranges of buildings extending south from the Queen’s Hall (Headmaster’s House) and backing on to The Gallery, two storeys and attics. The north range, of eight bays, is late Norman circa 1180 built of Carr stone rubble with Barnack stone dressings. Originally it was probably used as a granary. In the C14 it was considerably altered when it became the guest quarters and an upper storey was inserted (in the northern half).

Tags

  • Listed building
  • medieval

Projects

  • Ely

Share this article

Share onFacebook Share onBluesky

Contribute

Do you have any information about the people or places in this article? If so, then please let us know using the Contact page or by emailing capturingcambridge@museumofcambridge.org.uk.

Licence

This work is licensed under CC BY-NC-SA 4.0 not including content on external links as indicated byexternal link.

Ely

6 Churchgate Street, Soham

Barn to SE of 49 Abbey Street, Ickleton

Roger Ascham School Buildings, Ascham Road, Cambridge

126 & 128 Broad Street, Ely

35, St Mary’s Street, Ely

7 – 11 Newnham Street, Ely

Fenland Words: Sayings and Expressions from Cambridgeshire

47 Fore Hill, Ely

3 Castlehythe, Ely

49 Fore Hill, Ely

The Porta, The Gallery, Ely

24 Fore Hill, Royal Standard, Ely

7 & 8, The Gallery, Ely