Skip to content
  • home
  • map
  • search
Capturing Cambridge
  • search
  • Facebook
  • X
  • Instagram
  • Home
  • /
  • Projects
  • /
  • East Cambridge­shire
  • /
  • Littleport
  • Back Forward
A two-storey, cream-rendered building with a red-fronted takeaway shop on the left and a large black arched door on the right.

Marquis of Granby Hotel, Littleport (RGL2025)

Marquis of Granby Hotel, Littleport

History of the Marquis of Granby Hotel

A detail from a 1901 Ordnance Survey map showing hatched building footprints, street names, and the Marquis of Granby Hotel.

Littleport, OS 1901, Granby Street

A man in a cap stands by a horse-drawn carriage with luggage on the roof, positioned behind a wooden picket fence near buildings.

The Granby Hotel Bus, Littleport c.1910

A single horse drawn omnibus was purchased by John Allen, landlord of the Marquis of Granby Hotel in 1889 to convey guests to and from the station. For 3d they could go from the station to anywhere in town.


CDN 9th April 1925: In March 1925 two men booked into the Marquis of Granby Hotel. They attempted to steal a box containing £100 in notes, gold and silver, and when discovered barricaded themselves in one of the bedrooms.Police Sergeant Newell had seen the strangers and becoming suspicious enlisted the services of various well-disposed people to surround the hotel, which was to all intents and purposes in a state of siege. He invited the men to come out of their room but the reply he got was, ‘If you attempt to force the door we shall shoot’. In their endeavour to get away they had drawn the bedstead up to the window and knotted the sheets with a view of lowering themselves to the ground.

A two-story building with cream-painted brick walls, a dark grey slate roof, and a bright red front door on the right.

Marquis of Granby Hotel, Littleport (RGL2025)

Alva Harlock, Boyhood Recollections of Littleport (1988), recalls that the Granby Hotel was fully commercial and catered for commercial travellers who were brought to and from the hotel by hotel horse bus. He recalls the Townsend family as the owners.

Tags

  • crime
  • Public House

Projects

  • Littleport

Share this article

Share onFacebook Share onBluesky

Contribute

Do you have any information about the people or places in this article? If so, then please let us know using the Contact page or by emailing capturingcambridge@museumofcambridge.org.uk.

Licence

This work is licensed under CC BY-NC-SA 4.0 not including content on external links as indicated byexternal link.

Littleport

149 (123) High Street, The Fountain, Cottenham

video documents

Cambridge Union Workhouse, Maternity Hospital, Ditchburn Place, Mill Road, Cambridge

25 – 27 High Street, Chesterton, Bowling Green, Robert Peel, Queen’s Arms

Chapel, 15 Victoria Street, Littleport

31 Main Street, Littleport

14 Wellington Street, Littleport

The Swan, Littleport

111 Victoria Street, Littleport

14 Victoria Street, Littleport

Sandhill Bridge, Victoria Street, Littleport

Littleport windmill

Fisher’s Cottages, City Road, Littleport

audio

Fred and George Goulty