Skip to content
  • home
  • map
  • search
Capturing Cambridge
  • search
  • Facebook
  • X
  • Instagram
  • Home
  • /
  • Projects
  • /
  • Fenland
  • /
  • Elm
  • Back Forward
A two-storey brick house with three gabled dormers, decorative ridge cresting, and pointed-arch window panes behind a gate.

Halfpenny House, Halfpenny Lane, Elm

Halfpenny House, Halfpenny Lane, Elm

History of Halfpenny House

Listed Building

House, C.1841. Local brick with red brick dressings to door and window surrounds.

House built about 1841 by Captain Read for one of his daughters. Name believed to be because drainage rate for this area was halfpenny per acre.

Detailed Ordnance Survey map section showing buildings, land parcels, plot numbers, and Rose Cottage in Elm, circa 1900.

Elm OS 1900

Tags

  • Listed building

Projects

  • Elm

Share this article

Share onFacebook Share onBluesky

Contribute

Do you have any information about the people or places in this article? If so, then please let us know using the Contact page or by emailing capturingcambridge@museumofcambridge.org.uk.

Licence

This work is licensed under CC BY-NC-SA 4.0 not including content on external links as indicated byexternal link.

Elm

12 Nene Quay, New Bell Inn, Wisbech

39 The High Street, The Maltings, Haslingfield

13 – 14 South Brink, Wisbech

The Limes, Begdale Road, Elm

War Memorial, Elm

The Sportsman, Elm

All Saints, Elm

Duke of Wellington, nr Elm

Blackhorse Cottage, Elm

Canal side, Elm

Fire Engine House, Elm

Elm Village – Main Road / Halfpenny Lane junction

White House, Main Road, Elm