Skip to content
  • home
  • map
  • search
Capturing Cambridge
  • search
  • Facebook
  • X
  • Instagram
  • Home
  • /
  • Projects
  • /
  • Fenland
  • /
  • Elm
  • Back Forward
A white horse stands by a canal in Elm, with houses and trees lining the bank in the distance, in a sepia-toned vintage view.

Site of brewery alongside Wisbech and Upwell canal, 1920s (H Coates)

Brewery, Elm High Road

History of the Brewery

The brewery, known as PhilipsBrewery lay next to the Wisbech and Upwell Canal until it was destroyed by fire in 1911.

A detail from a 1900 Ordnance Survey map showing the Elm Road Brewery and surrounding plots, roads, and buildings.

Elm OS 1900

Projects

  • Elm

Share this article

Share onFacebook Share onBluesky

Contribute

Do you have any information about the people or places in this article? If so, then please let us know using the Contact page or by emailing capturingcambridge@museumofcambridge.org.uk.

Licence

This work is licensed under CC BY-NC-SA 4.0 not including content on external links as indicated byexternal link.

Elm

The Limes, Begdale Road, Elm

Blackhorse Cottage, Elm

Corner Cottage, Halfpenny Lane, Elm

White House, Main Road, Elm

Fire Engine House, Elm

Duke of Wellington, nr Elm

The Sportsman, Elm

Halfpenny House, Halfpenny Lane, Elm

Canal side, Elm

St Etheldreda, Coldham