Skip to content
  • home
  • map
  • search
Capturing Cambridge
  • search
  • Facebook
  • X
  • Instagram
  • Home
  • /
  • Projects
  • /
  • Fenland
  • /
  • Whittlesey
  • Back Forward
A man with a pipe stands before a brick wall with an arched doorway and a partially visible sign above a patterned transom.

Cross Keys, Northside, Whittlesey

Cross Keys, Northside, Whittlesey

History of Cross Keys

1885 Ordnance Survey map showing the Cross Keys public house, adjacent buildings, and a Methodist Chapel along a waterway.

Northside, Whittlesey OS 1885

Photo of Francis Smith, publican from 1914-1944.


1873 John Elmore

1909 Hannah Elmore

1914 Francis Smith

1944 Betsy Smith

Source: Millennium Memories of Whittlesey Number 9

 

 

Tags

  • Public House

Projects

  • Whittlesey

Share this article

Share onFacebook Share onBluesky

Contribute

Do you have any information about the people or places in this article? If so, then please let us know using the Contact page or by emailing capturingcambridge@museumofcambridge.org.uk.

Licence

This work is licensed under CC BY-NC-SA 4.0 not including content on external links as indicated byexternal link.

Whittlesey

12 Bridge Street, The George Inn, Cambridge

1 Town Lane, Chequers, Pampisford

Prince of Wales Public House, Dry Drayton

Railway Hotel, Whittlesey

King’s Head, Gracious Street, Whittlesey

Public Hall, Station Road, Whittlesey

Red Lion, Stone Bridge House, Stonebridge, Whittlesey

George (and Star) Hotel and Whyle’s Malthings, Whittlesey

The Packhorse, West End, Whittlesey

Bricklayers’ Arms, Scaldgate, Whittlesey

Wheatsheaf, Eastgate, Whittlesey

5 Market Place, Whittlesey

Market Place, Whittlesey