Skip to content
  • home
  • map
  • search
Capturing Cambridge
  • search
  • Facebook
  • X
  • Instagram
  • Home
  • /
  • Projects
  • /
  • Fenland
  • /
  • Wisbech
  • Back Forward

4 Alexandra Road / Deadman’s Lane (Baptist Chapel, Angle’s Theatre)

History of Baptist Chapel

The chapel was built c1790. It was later to become a theatre.

For the history of the Baptist Chapel see:

https://www.british-history.ac.uk/vch/cambs/vol4/pp250-251

https://www.wisbechbaptistchurch.org.uk/history/

The Cambridge Local History Society Review September 2004 contains an article by Harry Jones, ‘The Wisbech Dissenters’.


1748

John Godwin, minister. His seventh child was William Godwin who became husband of Mary Wollstonecraft and father of Mary Shelley.


1764-1766

William Hazlitt senior, minister, father of William Hazlitt


1781

Samuel Fisher, occasional minister


1794

Richard Wright, minister


1829

Robert Reynoldson, minister

 

 

 

Tags

  • chapel

Projects

  • Wisbech

Share this article

Share onFacebook Share onBluesky

Contribute

Do you have any information about the people or places in this article? If so, then please let us know using the Contact page or by emailing capturingcambridge@museumofcambridge.org.uk.

Licence

This work is licensed under CC BY-NC-SA 4.0 not including content on external links as indicated byexternal link.

Wisbech

Chapel of Ease, Guyhirn

United Reformed Church, South End, Bassingbourn

United Reformed Church, Station Road, Soham

11 South Brink, Wisbech

High Street, Wisbech

7 North Street, Wisbech

61 North Brink, Wisbech

The Rose and Crown, 23 & 24 Market Place, Wisbech

Wisbech Standard, 27 Hill Street, Wisbech

Wisbech Data

Wesleyan Chapel, The Crescent, Wisbech

Friends Meeting House, 21 North Brink, Wisbech

2 Museum Square, Wisbech