Skip to content
  • home
  • map
  • search
Capturing Cambridge
  • search
  • Facebook
  • X
  • Instagram
  • Home
  • /
  • Projects
  • /
  • Fenland
  • /
  • Wisbech
  • Back Forward
A sepia-toned print shows a symmetrical stone building with a central gabled section featuring a clock and a small bell tower.

History of Union Workhouse, Lynn Road, Wisbech, 1853 (Samuel Smith)

Union Workhouse, Clarkson Hospital, Lynn Road, Wisbech

History of Union Workhouse

 

A black and white Ordnance Survey map of Wisbech from 1900 showing the layouts of the Union Workhouse, infirmary, and mill.

Wisbech OS 1900

Union Workhouse was constructed under the Poor Law Act of 1834. It replaced th 18th cent. workhouse on Albion Terrace. the previous workhouse was built in 1720 on a three acre site between the Horse Fair and the quay, to house 80. Only those fit to work were admitted.

Later known as Clarkson Hospital.

Demolished 1982.


Opened in the early eighteenth century, the Wisbech Workhouse became one of the most successful examples of organised poor relief in Cambridgeshire. It provided employment in activities including spinning, baking and brewing, while also offering accommodation for the poor. Murphy describes it as well administered and comparatively humane, earning a reputation that encouraged neighbouring communities to establish similar institutions. Wisbech demonstrates how workhouses could become centres of both economic activity and welfare rather than simply places of punishment.

Source: Michael J. Murphy, Poverty in Cambridgeshire.


Also see ‘In and Out of the Workhouse’ EARO 1978.

A large, dark brick building with stone quoins, a central clock in a gable, and multi-paned windows featuring a ward sign.

Wisbech Union Workhouse

Tags

  • poverty
  • workhouse

Projects

  • Wisbech

Share this article

Share onFacebook Share onBluesky

Contribute

Do you have any information about the people or places in this article? If so, then please let us know using the Contact page or by emailing capturingcambridge@museumofcambridge.org.uk.

Licence

This work is licensed under CC BY-NC-SA 4.0 not including content on external links as indicated byexternal link.

Wisbech

Prospect Row – Mapping Relief

Doric Street – Mapping Relief

Cyprus Road – Mapping Relief

5 Ely Place, Wisbech

7 – 8 Bridge Street, 46 Alexandra Road, Wisbech

29 Market Place, Wisbech

Post Office, 1 – 3 Bridge Street, Wisbech

13 North End, Wisbech

White Lion Hotel, Wisbech

Raglan Villas, 85 & 87 Lynn Road, Wisbech

31 Old Market, Wisbech

Black Horse, Elm Road, Wisbech

The Anchor, 8 Nene Quay, Wisbech