Capturing Cambridge
  • search
  • Facebook
  • Twitter

21 (60) Hills Road, Globe Hotel/Inn, Emperor

History of 21 Hills Road

1861

(60 Hills Road)

Thomas Knott, 58, corn and coal merchant and cow keeper employing a son and a man, born Ickleton

Jane, 61, attendant to dairy, born Shepreth

Richardson, 22, corn and coal porter and milkman, born Cambridge

Jeremiah Brock, visitor, 58, house painter, born Shepreth

Susan Thurlborn, servant, 16, servant, born Girton


1871

(60 Hills Road – Beer Shop)

Richardson Knott, 32, publican and corn dealer, born Cambridge

Ellen Maria Turner, servant, 19, born London


1881

(60 Hills Road)

Edward Gittus, 35, publican, born Suffolk

Hannah

Albert E

Flora

Herbert

Alice Lucock, 18, servant, born Wisbech


1891

Hannah M Gittus, widow, 43, manageress Globe Inn, born Portsmouth

Albert E, 19, born Portsmouth

Flora B T, 13, born Portsmouth

Herbert J, 12, born Cambs

Percy L, 7, born Cambs

Fanny E, 4, born Cambs

Lydia Wright, 30, servant, born Saffron Walden


1901

John Rogers, 51, licensed victualler, born Cambs

Martha, 48, born Kent

Frederick John Watson, visitor, 45, corn merchant, born Hunts

Hannah Watson, visitor, 35, born Chatteris

Rose Holdich, 19, servant, born Somersham


1911

Henry Wingfield Willis, 29, licensed victualler, born Middlesex

Maud Mary, 28, born Essex

Roy Haworth Wingfield, 3 3/4, born Middlesex

Thomas Richard Dickinson, visitor, 31, commercial traveller, born York

Clara Isabella Gordon, visitor, 30, licensed victualler’s wife, born Essex


1913

(21, The Globe)

George Wrapson


The most serious WWII damage in this area was on 24th February (Shrove Tuesday) 1941 when when German bombers flew in very low and made a concentrated attack on the section of Hills Road between the church and the war memorial. Ten were left dead, mainly at The Globe and Bull’s Dairy. An important consignment of tanks was being unloaded that night at the station and the precision of the attack has fuelled rumours ever since that the Germans had intelligence, possibly from the agent Jan Ter Braak who was known to have been operating in Cambridge at the time. At 11pm a 50kg high explosive bomb exploded on the roof of the Catholic church’s sacristy; it blew a six foot hole in the roof and a similar sized hole in the wall of the Sacred Heart Chapel. (Catholics in Cambridge ed. Rogers)

……………….

The Globe Ale House closed in 2010 but was reopened under the name The Emperor.

Contribute

Do you have any information about the people or places in this article? If so, then please let us know using the Contact page or by emailing capturingcambridge@museumofcambridge.org.uk.