Capturing Cambridge
  • search
  • Facebook
  • Twitter

1, Wilton Terrace, 32 Station Road

History of 1 Wilton Terrace

1891

Alfred Kett, 47, builder, born Norwich

Harriet L, 49, born Cambridge

Ernest E, 20, born Cambridge

Lucy E, 17, born Cambridge

Ada M E, 15,  born Cambridge

Mabel S, 11, born Cambridge

Eliza Kemp, 20, servant, born Cambs.

1901

Caroline King, widow, 75, living on own means, born Warwick

Frederick A, 45, born Bottisham

Caroline, d-in-law, 47, born Sussex

Elizabeth Hart, servant, widow, ladysmaid, 69, born Warwicks

Mary Labram, servant, 28, cook, born Cambs.

1911

George Reed, 47, milling engineer, born Devon

Louisa madge, 49, 8 children, 1 died, born Devon

Florence Mary, 22, born Devon

Ernest George, 20, agricultural engineer, born Devon

Ethel May, 19, typist and clerk, born York

Elsie Maud, 16, born York

Frederick Augustus, 15, junior assistant in Cam. Univ. Medical Schools, born Yorks

Getrude, 14, born Yorks

Redvers, 10, Born York

Alfred Howarth Lowbridge, 24, law student, born Folkstone

Ada Dyson, 18, servant, born Cambs


1913

(32 Station Road) no occupant


Spalding’s 1887 Directory lists Alfred Kett (1843 – 1920), one of the owners of the firm of monumental masons and wood carvers Rattee and Kett, as living at No. 1 Wilton Terrace. Alfred trained as a carver and builder with his father George Kett (1809 – 1872) who worked on commissions for the new Houses of Parliament under A.W.N. Pugin. George carved the Royal Coat of Arms in the House of Lords and would have seen Wilton’s numerous monuments at
Westminster Abbey nearby. The company, Rattee and Kett,  operated from substantial premises in Station Road with offices, stone works, a joinery shop and a builder’s yard and spent 23 years restoring the external fabric of Westminster Abbey. During a period that spanned the late 1940’s to the early 1960’s Rattee and Kett took a lead role in rebuilding the North Transept and the Sanctuary at St. Paul’s Cathedral after they took a direct hit from enemy action during WWII. They celebrated 160 years of history in 2002.

Contribute

Do you have any information about the people or places in this article? If so, then please let us know using the Contact page or by emailing capturingcambridge@museumofcambridge.org.uk.