Then and Now (David Green) – The Fountain Hotel, 111 High Street, Huntingdon
The Fountain Hotel had been on this site since at least 1812. In its day it was a famous posting house/coaching Inn. It closed in 1912 and the site, including the corn exchange behind, was purchased by Murkett Bros. Murkett’s showrooms were created either side of the entrance and they converted the Corn Exchange into a cinema. Later occupants of the site were Woolworth’s who remained at the location until they closed in December 2008. Next up it became the home of a 99p shop, but that too has since closed and the site is now empty. Wonder what the future holds for this grade 2 listed building.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.