Skip to content
  • home
  • map
  • search
Capturing Cambridge
  • search
  • Facebook
  • X
  • Instagram
  • Home
  • /
  • Projects
  • /
  • Huntingdon­shire
  • /
  • St Neots
  • Back Forward
The ornate brick Corn Exchange building in St Neots features a tall corner cupola, with pedestrians standing on the pavement.

Corn Exchange, St Neots (J Phillips date unknown)

Corn Exchange, High Street, St Neots

History of Corn Exchange

St Neots’ Corn Exchange was built in the 1860s with a cupola. In 1915 it was purchased by C A James who opened a cinema.  It caught fire in 1929 and the cupola collapsed. It was reopened as the Pavilion Cinema until 1969 when the whole building was demolished.

A black-and-white view of a snowy street with the ornate, clock-faced Corn Exchange building on the right foreground.

Corn Exchange, High Street, St Neots c1888

A clock was fitted to the Corn Exchange to mark Queen Victoria’s Jubilee in 1887. Mr Kirby was no longer at his shop on the corner of New Street by 1890.

Projects

  • St Neots

Share this article

Share onFacebook Share onBluesky

Contribute

Do you have any information about the people or places in this article? If so, then please let us know using the Contact page or by emailing capturingcambridge@museumofcambridge.org.uk.

Licence

This work is licensed under CC BY-NC-SA 4.0 not including content on external links as indicated byexternal link.

St Neots

Malthouse behind the Priory Club

Brook Street cottages

St Neots Priory graveyard

Islands Common, St Neots

New Street Baptist Church, St Neots

13 High Street, St Neots

The Priory, St Neots

26 Market Square, St Neots

6 Market Square, St Neots

64 High Street, St Neots