Skip to content
  • home
  • map
  • search
Capturing Cambridge
  • search
  • Facebook
  • X
  • Instagram
  • Home
  • /
  • Projects
  • /
  • Mill Road Area Cambridge
  • /
  • Mill Road
  • Back Forward
A large brick building with a central cupola stands behind gated stone pillars, with several motorcycles and a van parked.

Petersfield Lodge, Image courtesy of Sally Oakes Collection

1 Mill Road, Petersfield Lodge, Cambridge

History of 1 Mill Road

1884

Samuel Leggett Young

1891 (-)

Samuel L Young, 63, retired draper, b Norfolk

He was Mayor of Cambridge from 1892-3.

1901 (1)

Samuel L Young, 73, retired draper, b Norfolk


19 July 1906
The Cambridge Women’s Suffrage Association held a well-attended meeting in the grounds of The Lodge, Mill Road. Addresses were given by the prominent suffragist Miss Isabella Ford, together with Mrs Rackham and other local speakers. It was pointed out that although women could serve as guardians and medical officers, they were still denied the vote in Parliamentary elections. The beautiful grounds of The Lodge were praised as an ideal venue for the gathering. Credit: Mike Petty Archive.


11 May 1913
The Lodge, Mill Road was one of the principal venues for the Cambridge Women’s Suffrage Pageant, providing the setting for part of the events associated with the procession through the city. Credit: Mike Petty Archive.


19 December 1913
The Women’s Suffrage Pageant was again performed at The Lodge, Mill Road, demonstrating that the house and its grounds continued to play an important role in the organisation and public presentation of the suffrage movement in Cambridge. Credit: Mike Petty Archive.


1913 (1)

Mrs Young

Large two-storey Victorian house with a central turret and decorative brickwork behind a metal fence and brick gate piers.

Petersfield Lodge, Mill Road, demolished 1963 for Post Office (MoC)

A large brick building with a central cupola stands behind gated stone pillars, with several motorcycles and a van parked.A pale brick apartment building with a central arched entrance leading to a gated courtyard and Petersfield Mansions signage.

 

Sources

  • Mike Petty Archive

Tags

  • Then and Now

Projects

  • Mill Road

Share this article

Share onFacebook Share onBluesky

Contribute

Do you have any information about the people or places in this article? If so, then please let us know using the Contact page or by emailing capturingcambridge@museumofcambridge.org.uk.

Licence

This work is licensed under CC BY-NC-SA 4.0 not including content on external links as indicated byexternal link.

Mill Road

108 Hills Road, The Osborne Arms (42)

77 (53) Norwich Street (The Eclipse)

106 (37) Regent Street, Cambridge

285 Mill Road

100a Mill Road, Wycombe House

35 Mill Road

27 Mill Road

334 Mill Road

85 (43) (48 & 47) Mill Road

106 Mill Road

194 Mill Road

The Cam Foundry, 349 Mill Road, Cambridge

225 Mill Road, Annerdale House