Skip to content
  • home
  • map
  • search
Capturing Cambridge
  • search
  • Facebook
  • X
  • Instagram
  • Home
  • /
  • Projects
  • /
  • South Cambridge­shire
  • /
  • Grantchester
  • Back Forward
A complex of industrial brick buildings with a tall chimney, covered in snow, set in a winter landscape near bare trees.

Grantchester mill pre 1928 (undated)

Grantchester watermill

History of the Watermill

The Domesday Book (1087 AD) mention more than one mill at Grantchester.

There is also a mention of a mill here in Chaucer’s Reeve’s Tale.

From 1270 to 1930 the mill belonged to Merton College.

In 1694 a lease was granted to Sir Francis Pemberton of Trumpington for 21 years.


1833

Alfred Lord Tennyson wrote this poem in 1833. The mill referred to is the Grantchester Mill:

…

I loved the brimming wave that swam
Thro’ quiet meadows round the mill,
The sleepy pool above the dam,
The pool beneath it never still,
The meal-sacks on the whiten’d floor,
The dark round of the dripping wheel,
The very air about the door
Made misty with the floating meal.

…


1851

James Nutter, 33, b Cambridge

Emma, 34, b Cambridge

Fanny Susannah, 10, b Grantchester

Agnes Tryphena, 8, b Grantchester

Emma, 5, b Grantchester

James, 1, b Grantchester

Smith, 5 mos, b Grantchester

Hannah Turner, aunt, widow, 64, B Cambridge

William, brother, 32, brewer, b Cambridge

Emma Homes, 25, cook, b Cambridge

Hannha Bacon, 20, housemaid, b Essex

Martha Carter, 17, housemaid, b Melbourn

In 1861 the Nutter family were at 3 Trumpington Road


1861

Edward Kendal, 54, miller, b Herts

Ann, 53, b Herts

David, 14, labourer, b Middlesex

Alfred, 12, errand boy, b Grantchester

Maria, 8, b Grantchester

Elizabeth Boardman, 25, servant, b Lancs


1871

Mill House:

Ann Nimmo, 50, widow, b Kent

Jane J, 27, b Middlesex

Frances B, 22, b Surrey

Louisa Sargent, 20, servant, b Babraham

The Mill:

Edward Randall, 64, miller, b Herts

Ann, 63, b Herts


1878

A black-and-white scale model of a building with multiple gabled roofs, chimneys, and small windows seen from above.

Model of Grantchester Mill made by Page Widnall for the miller James Nutter, 1878.


For a description of the Mill and its surroundings see Mary Greene’s autobiography, The Joy of Remembering:


1881

Mill Cottage:

George Lowe, 36, miller corn, b Grantchester

Emily, 38, b Watford

Harry, 13,

Herbert, 9,

Lucy Maria, 6,

Charles, 5,

Mary Elizabeth. 3

William, 9 months,

Mill House:

Susan Lowe, head, single, 24, general servant, b Thaxted

Harriet Lowe, visitor, single, 23, father’s housekeeper, b Thaxted


1891

Mill Cottage:

George Lowe, 46, miller, b Grantchester

Emily, 48, b Rickmansworth

Effie Susan, 18, dressmaker, b Grantchester

Mary Elizabeth,  13, b Grantchester

William,  10, b Grantchester

Frank, 8, b Grantchester

Arthur James, 5, b Grantchester

Mill House:

Ann Nimmo, widow, 78, living on own means, b Kent

Anne, 49, school governess, b London

Frances Elizabeth Kisbee, 22, cook, b Northants

Ada Millicent Kisbee, 14, housemaid,  b Northants


A watercolour painting showing a mill building reflected in a stream, framed by trees on either side under a pale sky.

Grantchester Mill, 1892, Henry Moule (MoC5/147/51)

1902

During work to install a turbine it was noticed that brickwork supporting the public road was becoming unsafe (CDN 24.4.1902). The arch over the waterway appeared inadequate to bear any but the ordinary traffic and there was considerable risk if traction engines were allowed to pass.

A large stone watermill with a raised dormer structure sits behind a low bridge over a river, with two small figures in the yard.

Grantchester Mill c.1910

A multi-storey stone mill building stands behind a bridge over a river, with a small boat containing a figure in the water.

Grantchester Mill (c1910) (Frith)

A brick bridge over water leads to a mill building with a projecting upper storey, as people stand on and sit by the railings.

Grantchester Mill, before 1928 (L Cobbett)

1928

A fire on 30th October destroyed the mill. It was run by the Nutter family who had operated it for over a century. The only part saved in the blaze was an adjoining cottage. (CIP 2.11.1928)

A group of people standing on a stone bridge watch as smoke rises from the ruined brick walls of a fire-damaged mill.

Grantchester Mill pre 1928 (photo L Cobbett)(Cambridgeshire Collection)

Crowd of people standing before a fire-damaged brick building with smoke billowing from broken windows and missing roof.

Grantchester Mill fire 1928 (MoC2/191/70)

A stone bridge with three arches stands over a calm stream next to a building with a large wooden extension projecting outward.

Grantchester mill (MoC258/58)

Ink drawing of a multi-story mill building over a stream, flanked by trees and smaller structures on a grassy riverbank.

Grantchester Mill (MoC17.44)

A pencil drawing showing the long, multi-story Grantchester Mill beside a river, with handwritten notes in the margins.

Grantchester Mill, 1928 (MoC76.65)

A pencil sketch shows a mill with a tall chimney beside a river and trees, signed and dated 2/6/28 in the lower left corner.

1928 sketch of Grantchester Mill inside front cover of Edgar Wallace’s ‘Again The Three Just Men’

The shell of a tall brick mill building with scorched walls stands beside a river and footbridge after a fire in 1928.

Fire at Grantchester Mill 1928 (MoC3/191/70)


1930

After the fire the property was sold to the Pemberton trustees. Mr Nutter took over the mill at Fulbourn.


Occupied by the Misses Glynn, one of whom was an artist.


2022

A flock of sheep grazes in a grassy field in front of a tall hedge and a large two-storey stone house under a cloudy sky.

View of Grantchester mill site (photo DG 2022)

A stone building with a tiled roof stands by a river, framed by weeping willow branches and reflected in the calm water.

Grantchester Mill (photo DG 2022)

Then and Now (David Gent)

It is impossible to take today’s picture from the exactly the same spot due to all the wonderful willow trees. So I got as near as I could whilst still being able to see roughly the same view. The small house joining onto the old mill on the right is still there, but hidden from view by one of the willows. Look at the two arches in the bridge to work out where the old mill used to stand

Then and Now

A multi-storey stone mill building stands behind a bridge over a river, with a small boat containing a figure in the water.A stone building with a tiled roof stands by a river, framed by weeping willow branches and reflected in the calm water.
A stone building stands behind a low wall by a calm river, framed by weeping willow branches under a cloudy sky.

Grantchester Mill (RGL2024)

A brick bridge over water with a large stone building behind it, framed by a willow tree with a white swan sitting on the bank.

Grantchester Mill (RGL2024)

Tags

  • fire
  • Henry Moule
  • Then and Now
  • watermill

Projects

  • Grantchester

Share this article

Share onFacebook Share onBluesky

Contribute

Do you have any information about the people or places in this article? If so, then please let us know using the Contact page or by emailing capturingcambridge@museumofcambridge.org.uk.

Licence

This work is licensed under CC BY-NC-SA 4.0 not including content on external links as indicated byexternal link.

Grantchester

25 Petty Cury, Cambridge

10 Denmark Road, Cottenham

St Philip’s Church, Mill Road, Cambridge

Moated site at Manor Farm, Grantchester

Audley Cottage, 35 Broadway, Grantchester

Cottage nr Red Lion, Grantchester

41 Mill Way, Yew Garth

Charterhouse Terrace (Cottages), Grantchester

The Orchard Tea Garden

17 Broadway, Merton House, Grantchester

7 High Street, King’s Cottage, Grantchester

Red Lion Lane

2 – 10 High Street, Wright’s Row, Grantchester