299-349 Mill Road (Magnet, Holland Motors)
From Cement Works to Mosque, Iron Foundry to Student Housing
23 May 1957
Messrs C. Holland won their appeal to erect a petrol filling station on the corner of Ross Street and Mill Road. The site was then occupied by a house and garden. Although the surrounding district was predominantly residential, with schools, shops, social clubs and industry, it was argued that motorists preferred to fill their tanks locally at the start of the day and that the new station would not increase traffic risks to children.
Credit: Mike Petty Archive.
Read the PDF for the full details on the history of the north side of Mill Road between Vinery Road and Brookfields Hospital.
The West side of the site is now occupied by the Cambridge Central Mosque and the East side by student accommodation building, the Cam Foundry.
Further Information
- Read the full history of 299-349 Mill Road (PDF)
- Read the history of the various East Romsey Town Cement Works (PDF)
- Cambridge Central Mosque
- Cam Foundry
- Cambridge News on the Magnet Bowling Alley
Sources
- Mike Petty Archive
Projects
Contribute
Do you have any information about the people or places in this article? If so, then please
let us know using the Contact page or by
emailing capturingcambridge@
Licence
This work is licensed under CC BY-NC-SA 4.0 not including content on external links as indicated by
.