Search by topic
Search by text
Old University Cricket Ground and Barnwell New Church circa 1830
Custodian’s House / Barnwell Chapel of Ease / New Church
History of Barnwell Chapel site
The 1831 New Guide to Cambridge describes the Barnwell Chapel of Ease as: a plain and somewhat spacious brick edifice erected in 1826 by Dr Geldart, impropriator of the parish of St Andrew the Less, but which has not yet been consecrated by the Bishop, though Divine Service is performed on Sundays and Holidays. Adjoining is a burying ground.
The Chapel of Ease must be the same as the Barnwell New Church shown on the map of 1830. It was converted in 1848 into the Custodian’s House.
Until the creation of Fenner’s new cricket ground, the University had played cricket on either Parker’s Piece or on the land which later became the Mill Road cemetery.
1848.The original mortuary Chapel later converted to a house.Knapped flints with limestone quoins and dressings.Single storey and attic.One,two and three-light wooden casements.Panelled door,inscription over door ‘Parochial Burial Ground Consecrated November 7 1848