Search by topic
Search by text
Mill Road Cemetery
History of Mill Road Cemetery
1861: Cemetery Lodge
Charles Simpkin, 50, cemetery porter, b Norfolk
Mill Road cemetery was constructed 1844-8 to a plan by Andrew Murray, curator of the Botanic Garden in Cambridge. The Gothic chapel built by Scott 1856-8 has been demolished.
The site had been previously used by the University as a cricket ground before Fenner’s was built. This is shown in the map of circa 1850 along with the Barnwell New Chapel that must have been demolished later.
Old University Cricket Ground and Barnwell New Church circa 1850
The cemetery features in The Siren, a novel by crime writer Alison Bruce.
The cemetery has a dedicated website as well as a Wikipedia entry:
Copper Weathervane in the form of a cockerel from the chapel of Mill Road cemetery