Capturing Cambridge
  • search
  • Facebook
  • Twitter

141 (117) High Street, Alexandra Coffee House, Temperance Hotel, Cottenham

History of 141 High Street Cottenham

See Francis Garrett, Cottenham’s Inns and Hostelries

1879:

Bazaar held at the Rectory by Misses Banks and £80 raised to start a coffee place in connection with the Cottenham Total Abstinence Society

1881:

Coffee house opened March. John and Unwin and wife Lois appointed to manage.

John Unwin, 34, builder, b Milton

Lois Ann, 35, b Whittlesford

Elizabeth M, 10, b Landbeach

Ellen Mable, 8, b Landbeach

Emmanuel, 5, b Cottenham

Charles William, 3, b Cottenham

John A, 1 b Cottenham

Caroline Moore, 15, servant, b Cottenham

………..

1891: The Coffee Tavern

William Golding, 38, millers carter, b Oakington

Jane, 35, b Cottenham

…………

1897: premises damaged by fire in May.

Large room for club and social purposes built and managed by George Whitehead until death in 1942.

………..

1939:

?

……………

Contribute

Do you have any information about the people or places in this article? If so, then please let us know using the Contact page or by emailing capturingcambridge@museumofcambridge.org.uk.