Search by topic
Search by text
Jolly Waterman, OS Map 1887
Jolly Waterman, Twenty Pence Road, Cottenham
History of the Jolly Waterman
1844: John Christmas of the Chequers built this house for his son John who was granted a licence in this year.
1850s: John Christmas left for Great Gransden and James Cundell took over.
See Francis Garrett, Cottenham Ablaze
20.4.1854: in the morning a fire was started in a cottage next to the Jolly Waterman which set the thatch of the stable in the pub on fire.
Buildings belonging to John Christmas were destroyed; John Hewitt’s cottage was partly destroyed and part of Thomas Furbank’s farm as well.
1871: Charles Christmas
1881: William Handley
Josiah Furbank. When Josiah moved out in 1892 the house was selling on average 10 barrels of beer yearly & a large quantity of mineral. It was near the landing place of the Lode.
1893: George Gilbey licensee
1898: house and cottage sold to Robert Brassy Jones, Cambridge brewer.
1903: Fred Badcock
1971: renamed Hunter’s Fen Restaurant