Skip to content
  • home
  • map
  • search
Capturing Cambridge
  • search
  • Facebook
  • X
  • Instagram
  • Home
  • /
  • Projects
  • /
  • South Cambridge­shire
  • /
  • Gamlingay
  • Back Forward
Interior view of a chapel with a central wooden pulpit flanked by symmetrical staircases, a hymn board, and two lamps.

Gamlingay Old Meeting Chapel

Old Meeting Chapel, Baptist Chapel, Stocks Lane, Gamlingay

History of Baptist Chapel

Listed Bulding

Non conformist chapel. Founded late C17-early C18 rebuilt 1840, extended 1858 and restored 1881. (Historic England)


The village’s first Baptist church was formed in 1670. Its first recorded minister was John Bunyan, the author of The Pilgrim’s Progress. In the beginning the church, which was originally known as Gamlingay Old Meeting, was a daughter congregation of Bunyan Meeting at Bedford, becoming independent in 1710. The meeting house was also built in 1710. It was rebuilt in 1840 and restored in 1881. The church was renamed Gamlingay Baptist Church in the 1990s. (Wikipedia)

 

Tags

  • chapel
  • Listed building

Projects

  • Gamlingay

Share this article

Share onFacebook Share onBluesky

Contribute

Do you have any information about the people or places in this article? If so, then please let us know using the Contact page or by emailing capturingcambridge@museumofcambridge.org.uk.

Licence

This work is licensed under CC BY-NC-SA 4.0 not including content on external links as indicated byexternal link.

Gamlingay

Cambridge Union Society

Langham House, 62 High Street, Needingworth

3 High Street, Kimbolton

20 Church End, (The Rose, The Rose and Crown), Kitchens Farmhouse, Gamlingay

2 Mill Street, Gamlingay

The Wheatsheaf Public House, 92 Church Street, Gamlingay

3 Church Street, Gamlingay

Old Bull House, 19 Church End, Gamlingay

16 & 18 Church End, Gamlingay

Live and Let Live, Everton Road, Gamlingay

Church End, Gamlingay

10 Mill Street, The Chequers, Gamlingay

53 Church Street, Gamlingay