Skip to content
  • home
  • map
  • search
Capturing Cambridge
  • search
  • Facebook
  • X
  • Instagram
  • Home
  • /
  • Projects
  • /
  • South Cambridge­shire
  • /
  • Over
  • Back Forward
A quiet, paved village street curves past brick buildings with sash windows and a horse-drawn cart parked on the right.

High Street, Over

Admiral Vernon, 31 High Street, Over

History of the 31 High Street, Over

The two-story Admiral Vernon pub in Over is built of yellow brick with slate roof, bay windows, and prominent lettering.

Admiral Vernon, Over (RGL2025)

The original thatched pub was probably called “The House called Keys”. Renamed The Admiral Vernon or Vernon’s Head after “Old Grog” the Admiral who watered sailors’ rum ration. At first a single-storey clay-bat building with raised dais known as the Star Chamber. Burned down in 1889; a new clubroom was opened in 1890.  (A Walk Round the Village of Over by E G Papworth 1996).

Projects

  • Over

Share this article

Share onFacebook Share onBluesky

Contribute

Do you have any information about the people or places in this article? If so, then please let us know using the Contact page or by emailing capturingcambridge@museumofcambridge.org.uk.

Licence

This work is licensed under CC BY-NC-SA 4.0 not including content on external links as indicated byexternal link.

Over

Berry House, 41 High Street, Over

48 Fen End, Over

10 Fen End, Over

War Memorial, Over

Gilbert’s Cottage, 7 Station Road, Over

22 Long Furlong, Over

Over Mill

53 High Street, Over

Denmark House, 3 Fen End, Over

Town Hall, High Street, Over