Search by topic
Search by text
Cambridge County High School For Boys circa 1900
Cambridge & County School for Boys / Hills Road Sixth Form College
Notes on Cambridgeshire High School
Pevsner’s Cambridgeshire notes that the original building was by MacAlister & Tench, neo-Tudor brick, in 1903. Additions were made in 1924 and 1928 by H H Dunn, and in 1935 by S E Unwin.
County School, Cambridge
Historical information about the school can be found here:
1903 25/9 (from the newspaper)
The Cambridge & County School for Boys, which during the past four years has been very insufficiently accommodated at St Columba’s Hall, reached an important stage in its career. The builders were displaced by the boys at the new school house that has been erected upon Hills Road and henceforth the scholars will participate in the manifold advantages that the most approved educational equipment, utilised amidst ideal surroundings, can supply. Few buildings can possess such a curious means of access. The boys are to make their entrances by means of a slope leading into the basement where they can leave their bicycles, hats and coats before climbing a broad staircase to the ground floor.
Former pupils from this site include:
Sir John Bradfield
Pages 17 & 30 of the following web site on popular music in Cambridge in the 1960s has a short overview of those students at the school involved in the scene: