20 Bridge Street / The Salutation
History of 20 Bridge Street
For detailed information on this site see T E Faber, An Intimate History of St Clement’s, p.53 (2006).
There was a public house house on this site known as the Salutation. It is referred to in an 18th cent. issue of the Cambridge Chronicle.
1667-1700: Edward, later Jane, Medcalfe for Salutation in 1672-74
1752-1856: Salutation listed continuously
1807: William Irish owned freehold
1833: freehold passed to Joseph irish of Tottenham
1853: sold by William Irish to Edward Rist Lawrence (who also owned the site of the Blackmoor Head) for £610 19s. Salutation described as unoccupied but ‘late in the tenure of Messrs Nash and Co, brewers.’ Nash and Co were wound up in 1852.
George Dewberry, boot and shoemaker. He later moved to 44 Sidney Street.
1876: death of Edward Lawrence. For the executor’s sale this site was divided into two lots numbered 3 and 4. Lot 3 was the old Salutation which consisted of a shop on the corner, a house belonging to the shop which faced over the churchyard, and an adjoining north-facing tenement occupied by a flyman called Topham. Lot 4 consisted of three other small north facing tenements. They were occupied in 1876 from west to east by Dampeir, Randall and Jones. Both lots were bought by the fishmonger William Barton. He replaced the tenements with what became Nos 1 and 2 Portugal Place.
1883: corner house and shop sold to James Wilson, tobacconist
1884: Nos 1 and 2 Portugal Place sold to a fish-monger
George Thomas Wilson, cigar merchant and tobacconist
G T Wilson, tobacconist, confectioner
In 1981 Paul Carter remembered that Wilsons, run by Mr Matthews, used to sell 10 assorted cigarettes for 2d, including Turkish and Russian ones.
Pawnbroker’s Balls, 20 bridge Street