Search by topic
Search by text
17 – 18 Bridge Street, The Mitre / Blackmoor Head / Cock and Magpie
History of 17 Bridge Street
For the early history of the Blackmoor Head, look at entry on Clement Hostel.
In 1825, when the property came up for sale, together with other lots that formed the Clement Hostel, the building was shared between the Blackmoor Head and a liquor shop, the Cock and Magpie.
The whole lot was bought by a Mrs Lawrence in the 1825 sale. and rebuilt by her. The modern brick facade seems to have been built in or before 1841. The site still belonged to one of her sons, Edward Rist Lawrence at his death in 1876. In that year the Cock and and Magpie was at no.18 and shared its building with a shop at no.17.
The last full reference found by T E Faber (An Intimate History of St Clement) to the Blackmoor Head was in the 1841 census. In the 1851 census it is only in the preamble to the return.
The Mitre Hotel
J F Harlow, manager
(17a): Edgar H Mathie
Mitre P H
(17a) William James Stubbings
Christopher Smart in 1741 wrote a poem entitled The Pretty Bar-Keeper of the Mitre.
Christopher Smart poem, The Pretty Bar-Keeper of the Mitre