37 Bridge Street
History of 37 Bridge Street
West of Bridge Street in the Nineteenth Century
For more detailed history of this site see T E Faber, An Intimate History of St Clement’s parish, 2006
This estate including no. 36 was acquired by St John’s in three separate transaction, and it was shared by at least three people c. 1210 and also c. 1540.
1607: Thomas Creake, bailiff of Jesus College married Joan. Moves to parish of Clement’s and probably acquired no.37.
c. 1690: The ‘Talbott’ (no.36) held by Mr Riches
1735: bought by William Tassell, merchant, from the widow of John Craske of Bury St Edmund’s. It was then a common inn called the Tabberd also the Talbot, occupied by John Carr, Francis Jermin and Thomas Jermin
1777: William Tassell and his wife Rose sold estate to Samuel Francis. A document refers to, ‘The Tabbard, now called the Marquis of Granby.’ Occupied by John Harison, Charles Martindale (Tassell’s son in law) and William Tassell.
1787: Samuel Francis sold Marquis of Granby (no. 36) to Alderman John Forlow and (No. 37) to Richard Wallis, miller and mealman.
1789: James Cock, merchant, bought property from the Wallises for £500
1791: property passed to William Read.
1820: when Read’s widow died in 1820 she left it to her hephew, John Wratton of Chesterton, shopkeeper
1821: let to a grocer
1855: house owned by ‘Devisees of John Wratten’
1908: bought by St John’s from Henrietta Challice
Leonard Norman, 45, pork butcher sausage manufacturer, b Cottenham
Mary Louisa, 41, b Cambridge
Gwendoline Mary, 12, b Cambridge
Kathleen Sussie, 7, b Cambridge
Irene May, 2, b Cambridge
Martha Annie Rowe, 23, b Cambridge
George J Dring, pork butcher
H C William, optician
(37a) Christopher Richmond