44 Bridge Street
History of 44 Bridge Street
West of Bridge Street in the Nineteenth Century
1662/4: Robert Abbott succeeded by Nicholas Apethorp, maltster
1692: property bought as an investment for Peirce Dent, apothecary and his wife Deborah.
1785: Dent grandson sold property to Joseph Willett, gardener and greengrocer. At time property consisted of two tenements and a ‘garden ground’. Willett occupied one of the tenements: according to evidence given in 1858 by Robert Hills, paper hanger, he lived ‘in a house now occupied by Twiney the chemist next to Hobb’s court. then called Willett’s yard.’ The yard was called Hobb’s in 1858 because William Setchfield Hobbs, himself a chemist, bought the whole property in 1848.
1873: bought from Daniel Hobbs by St John’s for £996. It was a house and chemist’s shop with a passage leading to a warehouse and two small cottages and a stable.
Horace Coulson, 38, chemist, b Cambridge
Alice Charlotte, 29, b Elsworth
Horace Bernard, 3, b Cambridge
Gordon Neale, 8 mos, b Cambridge
Gertrude Emily, 17, servant, b Dry Drayton
Horace Coulson, photographic and dispensing chemist
1 & 2 Horace Coulson, chemist, storerooms
3 J Mayes