Capturing Cambridge
  • search
  • Facebook
  • Twitter

44 Bridge Street

History of 44 Bridge Street

West of Bridge Street in the Nineteenth Century

1662/4: Robert Abbott succeeded by Nicholas Apethorp, maltster

1692: property bought as an investment for Peirce Dent, apothecary and his wife Deborah.

1785: Dent grandson sold property to Joseph Willett, gardener and greengrocer. At time property consisted of two tenements and a ‘garden ground’. Willett occupied one of the tenements: according to evidence given in 1858 by Robert Hills, paper hanger, he lived ‘in a house now occupied by Twiney the chemist next to Hobb’s court. then called Willett’s yard.’ The yard was called Hobb’s in 1858 because William Setchfield Hobbs, himself a chemist, bought the whole property in 1848.

1873: bought from Daniel Hobbs by St John’s for £996. It was a house and chemist’s shop with a passage leading to a warehouse and two small cottages and a stable.



Horace Coulson, 38, chemist, b Cambridge

Alice Charlotte, 29, b Elsworth

Horace Bernard, 3, b Cambridge

Gordon Neale, 8 mos, b Cambridge

Gertrude Emily, 17, servant, b Dry Drayton


Horace Coulson, photographic and dispensing chemist

Coulson’s Passage:

1 & 2 Horace Coulson, chemist, storerooms

3 J Mayes


Do you have any information about the people or places in this article? If so, then please let us know using the Contact page or by emailing