48 Bridge Street
History of 48 Bridge Street
West of Bridge Street in the Nineteenth Century
For more detailed information see: T E Faber, An Intimate History of St Clement’s Parish, 2006.
Cok the Jew. The property would have escheated to Queen Eleanor following her exile of the Jews from Cambridge [and other towns] in January 1275.
c. 1275-1279: Sabina Hubert. Rent of smaller part of property granted to her by William, son and heir of Cecily Corde. Larger part of property granted to Nicholas Bernard after escheated to queen, but had passed to Stephen Toli by 1279.
14th cent: plot of Cok the Jew granted by king to Nicholas de Empyton
Sir John de Cambridge
Thomas de Cambridge
1604: Edward Parker, owned freehold
c. 1610 Edward Parker died and left house to his friend Alderman Robert Wallis. Later bought by John Badcock (see no. 49 Bridge Street)
1634: death of John Badcock. Son, John Badcock II may have lived at no.48. Mother and widow, Anne, lived at no.49.
Maude Acland, 36, university lodging house keeper, b Surrey
Elsie, 12, b Granchester
Elizabeth Catten, 17, servant, b Suffolk
Percy C Frohock, draper and hosier
Wm John Dodds