Search by topic
Search by text
Cambridge Town Gaol, Gonville Place
Cambridge Town Gaol
History of Cambridge Town Gaol
Cambridge Town Gaol was built in 1827 at a cost of £25,000 and survived until demolished 15/5/1879. It was designed by William M’Intosh Brookes.
In 1876 Robert Browning the murderer was hung here, the first execution at the gaol. The gaol surgeon at the time was James Hough.
Further information can be found here:
See also Enid Porter: Crime and Punishment
Its location is where Queen Anne’s Terrace is now.
Map from circa 1850 showing location of Town Gaol.
Press Cutting c. 1930 about excavation of Old Gaol