Search by topic
Search by text
Magdalene Street before redevelopment early 20thC
History of Magdalene Street
This view along Magdalene Street from the castle Hill end shows the east side of the street before redevelopment by Magdalene College in the 20th century. According to 1959 Royal Commission on Historical Monuments Survey of Cambridge: Monuments (201-211) form a notable row of plastered timber-framed town houses dating from late medieval times to the 18th century and, except for later windows almost throughout, comparatively little altered structurally. It is the only frontage of its age surviving in the city of sufficient length to give any impression of the earlier street scene. The houses belong to, or are being bought by, Magdalene College mainly for further accommodation for undergraduates. The alterations are now being made (1955-7). The aspect to the street is being retained but most of the W extensions, of various dates, are being demolished, except the notable W range of Monument (205) [house no.25]
Magdalene Street early 20th century before the development of east side.
Magdalene Street Chesterton Lane corner 1911