21-22 Bridge Street, Copyn Hall, 36 Thompson’s Lane
History of 21 Bridge Street
Properties on the corner of Bridge Street and Thompson’s Lane
19th century combined shop and dwelling houses in Cambridge
1959 Royal Commission on Historical Monuments Survey of Cambridge: are probably those described as ‘recently erected’ in the Cambridge Chronicle for 14 August 1835 , and by James Walter, architect. Though apparently built as socio-economic unities of shops and dwellings, they have been cleared for a modern shop and rest is a hostel of Magdalene College. To Bridge Street and round unto the Lane the original timber shop-fronts remain little altered.
Early history of the site is from T E Faber, An Intimate History of St Clement’s Parish, 2006
The block of property now nos. 21-24 Bridge Street was given to Clare Hall early in the 16th cent. and sold to Magdalene in 1935.
(no.21) c. 1314: the Friars of the Blessed Mary
(no. 22) c. 1314: Gilbert de Chateres and his wife Leticia
(no. 22): 1366 held by Alan Brice of Cambridge
(no.22): 1366 deed of no. 22 refers to two properties to the south suggesting that no. 21 was divided. This would be tenements belonging to Robert de Brigham and William de Burton.
circa 1413: (no. 22 & 23) bought by Stepehn and Agnes Neel
1430: no. 21 held by Robert de Brigham but gave them to his brother when he went to France for the coronation of Henry VI.
1443: (nos. 22 & 23) sold as two shops to Henry Richard and his wife
1455: no. 21 bought by John Gryme and his wife from brother of Robert de Brigham for £12.
1467: (nos. 22 & 23) William Dak bought properties
1487: (no.21) purchased from Gryme family by William Bele
1492: (no. 21) Bele sells freehold to William Cappe
1498: (no. 21) freehold passes to William Adham. In Adham’s will the property is called Copyn Hall suggesting it was a lodging for students
1504: will of William Adam made. Property left to wife Elizabeth and son Thomas.
1521: William Adam made Esquire Bedell of University. Died in 1555. Buried with father in All Saints.
1522: (no. 21) from Thomas Adham, son and heir of William Adham to Master of Clare Edmund Natures, and by him to Thomas Pomell, son and heir of Thomas Pomell and a Fellow of Clare
1528: (no.21) from Thomas Pomell to Christopher Bayly and several Fellows of Clare. This was following instructions of Thomas Pomell’s will which laid down conditions for the establishment in Clare of a priest to be called ‘Mr Dack’s prest’ and of an annual service of nine lessons and mass, at which prayers are to be said for the souls of ‘William Dacke Clerke’, Thomas Pomell and his wife.
1621: (no.21) lease granted to Alice Frithe for 40 years
1631-53: John, later, Joan Blyton; ‘of Clement parish at ye sign of ye bull for selling less than a quart, £1 to be paid to Mr Tabor at his word’ in 1631.
1638: (no.22) occupied by Thomas Bland, cordiner
1656: (no.22) Thomas Bland died
1656-60: John Linsey
1661-64: Henry Gifford replaces John Linsey in Lent Book
1661: (no.22) widow Ann Bland still resident
1661: (no. 21) principal occupant was James Wendy, butcher
1664: (no.22) son Nicholas Bland resident. rent 13s 4d.
1670:-72: Thomas Enyon for Black Bull
1673: John Frohock for Black Bull with four hearths
1674-85: William later Alice Howlett for Black Bull in 1673
1676: Nicholas Tabor bequeaths Black Bull wherein Howlett lies
1681: (no.21) lease granted to Nicholas Tabor I. James Wendy still occupant sharing with John Linsey and family. Wendy’s part opened onto bridge Street; Linsey’s onto Thompson’s Lane.
1686-95: Richard Brady apparently Howlett’s successor
1796: (no.21) let to someone in Saffron Walden and Linsey’s half had been further subdivided.
Norman Bradley & Co Ltd, pawnbrokers and clothiers, Lombard House
J W Snelson, manager
Norman Bradley, pawnbroker
(21) Norman Bradley, pawnbrokers
(22-23) John’s Ltd, house furnishers
North corner of Bridge Street and Thompson’s Lane
36, 36b 36c Thompson’s Lane