Skip to content
  • home
  • map
  • search
Capturing Cambridge
  • search
  • Facebook
  • X
  • Instagram
  • Home
  • /
  • Projects
  • /
  • Centre Cambridge
  • /
  • Market Hill
  • Back Forward
A black and white postcard shows a town square with a stone fountain, vintage cars, market stalls, and a large stone church.

Great St Mary’s and Market Place Cambridge circa 1910

30 Market Hill

History of 30 Market Square

The corner of a light brick building features a curved tower section and a street sign reading Saint Marys Passage.

1792

Simon Barrett founded a china and earthenware business. Simon had three sons, of whom, Robert senior and George, followed him in the family business while John, father of Agnes Chater, set up as a linen draper.

A handwritten document listing dates, items such as nipple glasses and a glass urinal, and their corresponding prices.

Orders from Mr Deck to Barrett’s 1852-3 including nipple cups. a glass urinal and an invalid feeder

1871

Robert Barrett [1808-1891], widower, 60, china dealer, b Cambridge

Sarah Fellwell, relative, 68, b Norfolk

Edwin R Barrett, son,  30,  china dealer’s assistant, b Cambridge

George R, 25, china dealer’s assistant, b Cambridge

Catharine, 22, b Cambridge

Alfred S, 20, grocer, b Cambridge

Louisa, 19, b Cambridge

Sarah Ingrey, 25, servant, b Cambs

Harriett Ship, 21, servant, b Fen Ditton


1881

vacant


1891

1901

1911

1913

Barrett & Sons, glass and china dealers

A multi-story brick building on a corner with a prominent turret, a ground-floor shop labeled Barrett, and a car in the street.

30 Market Hill c.1920 (MoC47/65)

Three horse-drawn covered wagons stand in a brick courtyard with several men and stacks of wooden barrels and crates nearby.

Barrett’s horses and vans. Horses were used until 1950s.

A horse-drawn cart loaded with straw-covered crates travels along a road with a person wearing a hat sitting in the driver's seat.

Barrett’s horse drawn truck c1910 with china and glass wrapped in straw. (MoC45/65)

Two men sit in a vintage truck with a loaded flatbed and canvas cover, bearing the license plate CE-2368, on a rural road.

Barrett’s delivery truck c.1920s

A corner storefront with large windows filled with tea sets and pottery, displaying signs for Barrett and Pyrex on Market Hill.

30 Market Hill c.1920s (MoC51/65)

Long shop interior with glass display cases and shelves packed with ceramics lining walls, a runner rug, and pendant lights.

Interior of Barrett’s china shop, 30 Market Hill (MoCP44)

A shop front for Barrett displays ceramics in its windows and a central banner advertising a Josiah Wedgwood bicentenary.

Josiah Wedgwood (1730-1795) Bicentenery display at 30 Market Hill

A hansom cab with a driver and passenger parked on a street in front of a storefront, with four men standing nearby.

The Last Hansom cab in Cambridge outside Barretts ?1920 (from By-ways of Cambridge History by Ada Keynes)

Two women work at wooden benches surrounded by various ceramic items in a room with lightbulbs hanging from the ceiling.

Barrett’s china shop (MoC53/65)

A street-level view of a corner shop called Barrett with large display windows packed with ceramics and a person walking past.

Barrett’s (MoC 50/65)

A street-level view of Barrett’s brick building on a corner with large display windows filled with tea sets and glassware.

Barrett, Market Hill (MoC48/65)

1962

Martin’s Bank Ltd

The corner of a light brick building features a curved tower section and a street sign reading Saint Marys Passage.


1979

Barrett & Son mug made for Poste Hotels. It was given to staff at Christmas at the Christmas lunch. Photos from BG.

White ceramic mug decorated with colourful illustrations of historical figures, crests, and text for Christmas 1979.

Barrett and Son mug (photo BG)

The underside of a white ceramic mug, showing printed text Bone China and Barrett & Son Cambridge, set on a red surface.

Barrett & Son mug 1979 (photo BG)

A white ceramic mug with a small holly leaf and berry decoration, set against a pink quilted fabric background.

Barrett & Son mug 1979 (photo BG)

 


2018 occupied by Boss Menswear

Tags

  • Building of Local Interest

Projects

  • Market Hill

Share this article

Share onFacebook Share onBluesky

Contribute

Do you have any information about the people or places in this article? If so, then please let us know using the Contact page or by emailing capturingcambridge@museumofcambridge.org.uk.

Licence

This work is licensed under CC BY-NC-SA 4.0 not including content on external links as indicated byexternal link.

Market Hill

102a Mill Road

111 (61-62) King Street

St Philip’s Church, Mill Road, Cambridge

Market Hill – Mapping Relief

1 – 2 Market Hill (Veysy House)

15 Market Hill

37 Market Hill

3 Market Hill (Wheatsheaf Inn)

36 Market Hill

29 St Mary’s Street

7 Market Hill

6 Market Hill

23 Market Hill