Skip to content
  • home
  • map
  • search
Capturing Cambridge
  • search
  • Facebook
  • X
  • Instagram
  • Home
  • /
  • Projects
  • /
  • Centre Cambridge
  • /
  • Petty Cury
  • Back Forward
Pedestrians walk past the brick storefronts of W. Heffer & Sons and Finlays on a Cambridge street in this black-and-white view.

2-4 Petty Cury c1960

4 Petty Cury, Cambridge

History of 4 Petty Cury

1851 (unnumbered)

Henry Watson, 35, chemist


1861 (4)

Henry Brown Watson, 43, chemist, b Cambridge


1896

William Heffer moves shop here from 104 Fitzroy Street


1913

W Heffer and Sons, publishers booksellers and printers

William Heffer 1843 – 1928 by Sidney Heffer (1952)

 


Shopfront of W. Heffer & Sons with large glass windows filled with books and a cobbled alleyway entrance to the left.

Heffer’s, Petty Cury c.1920

Commentary by Mike Petty on Fenland History Facebook site:

William Heffer opened his bookshop in Petty Cury in 1896 having bought out a chemist whose stock he sold off, but the giant bottles were to remain in the windows up till 1922. On the day that war broke out, 1914, the Oak-Room-and-Gallery was opened, stretching backwards where the Lion’s stables had stood. As the shop expanded upstairs into the rest of the building it retained mementoes: the wallpaper was that of the university lodgings, while bedroom 40, renamed The Science Room, still sported a chandelier. In 1928 the shop expanded into adjacent premises and a new frontage, designed by Arthur Heffer was installed. [H. Bosanquet. Walks round vanished Cambridge: Petty Cury. 1974]. The firm moved to Trinity Street in 1970 and the building was demolished as part of the Lion Yard redevelopment that saw the clearance of the south side of Petty Cury and the lanes and alleys beyond. Had the Antiquarian Society photographers realised the extent of the demolition that was to occur they may have devoted more of their plates to the area.

A rainy street view of the W. Heffer & Sons bookstore with vintage cars parked in front and a person on a bicycle nearby.

Heffer’s Petty Cury Cambridge


1962

W Heffer & Sons, booksellers

Pedestrians walk past the W. Heffer & Sons bookstore and the adjacent Finlays shopfront on a street in Cambridge.

Heffer’s, 3 – 4 Petty Cury c.1960s (MoC38/160/69)

A street scene looking down Petty Cury with W. Heffer and Sons shop, a parked car, and pedestrians on the sidewalk.

3/4 Petty Cury (MoC405/63)

Street-level view of multi-story brick buildings with sash windows, featuring a shopfront for Eaden Lilley and Company.

3 – 4 Petty Cury (MoC133/71)

A narrow alleyway between brick buildings, with a white car parked at the far end under a light-colored building facade.

Heffers, 3 Petty Cury (MoC61B71)

Three shops, Eastern Electricity, Finlay’s, and Card Boutique, line a street in 1971, with pedestrians and a car nearby.

4,3,2 (Eastern Electricity, Finlay’s, Card Boutique) Petty Cury, 1971 (Peter Soar)

 

Tags

  • Peter Soar

Projects

  • Petty Cury

Share this article

Share onFacebook Share onBluesky

Contribute

Do you have any information about the people or places in this article? If so, then please let us know using the Contact page or by emailing capturingcambridge@museumofcambridge.org.uk.

Licence

This work is licensed under CC BY-NC-SA 4.0 not including content on external links as indicated byexternal link.

Petty Cury

1 Corn Exchange Street, The Red Cow

The George / The George and Dragon / La Mimosa, Richmond Terrace

18 Petty Cury, Cambridge

36 Petty Cury, The White Swan, Cambridge

Petty Cury – Mapping Relief

28 Petty Cury, Cambridge

Lion Yard, Cambridge

documents

3 Petty Cury, Cambridge

Falcon Yard, Petty Cury, Cambridge

7 (9)(8) Petty Cury, Falcon Inn, Cambridge

25 Petty Cury, Cambridge

2 Petty Cury, Cambridge

34 Petty Cury, Star and Garter, Cambridge