History of Petty Cury
Petty Cury was originally the bakers’ street in the 14th century. By the 15th century it housed the city’s major inns. It first appears in documents around 1330. It is Petycure and the residence of Thomas Furbisshour in 1396.
Photos of the street can be found:
26/12/1917: Margarine Queues – The queues, which have been getting larger day by day in Petty Cury, assumed such alarming dimensions on Saturday that one person at least was injured and others fainted. Margarine was the chief commodity sought, a supply having been delayed the day before owing to the fog. The Borough Food Control Committee took commendable action to consider how best to relieve the situation. They suggested that traders should transfer their stocks of margarine to the Corn Exchange and sell it there, and the Committee would give them every facility; they also suggested the margarine should only be sold in libs, or multiples of lib. Some was transferred and between 2 and 4 o’clock 1,000 transactions in margarine had taken place. The people were arranged in queues outside the hall. The margarine was put up in lib and 2 lb packages, the limit to each person being 2 lb. Everything went off without a hitch (Cam.News)
19/1/1925: Petty Cury and Market Street, Cambridge, today commenced their career as one-way streets with the object of relieving congestion in these streets whose narrowness has ever been the subject of discussion. Petty Cury will only be used for vehicular traffic towards Market Hill. At present these regulations do not apply to bicycles. A policeman agreed that someone was bound to make a mistake – “It wouldn’t be Cambridge if they didn’t”, he said (Cam.News)
6/11/1929: Nearly thirty arrests were made during a Guy Fawkes ‘Rag’ on Cambridge Market Hill. Early in the evening an attempt was made to light at bonfire in Petty Cury and there was a considerable blaze in front of Falcon Yard before the police noticed it and it was extinguished. In Rose Crescent an effigy was soaked with petrol, stuffed with fireworks and deposited near the Market Hill end. This was quickly extinguished and the effigy confiscated, but the petrol continued to burn for a long time afterwards. A new feature of the scrimmages was the use of police whistles by undergraduates which added to the confusion. (Cam.News)