Capturing Cambridge
  • search
  • Facebook
  • Twitter

16 Petty Cury / The Wrestlers Inn

History of 16 Petty Cury

1651: Peter Settle & William Crane, occupiers, mortgage documents held by Corpus Christi

1693: Thomas Fox, lessee, lease records held by Corpus Christi

1719: Richard Fox, tenant, lease records held by Corpus Christi

1750: Peter Taylor & Samuel Stanley, brewers & partners, lease records held by Corpus Christi

1759: Edward Gillam, brewer, lease records held by Corpus Christi

1798: John Edward, tavern keeper, Universal British Directory

1800: Henry Mason, victualler, lease records held by Corpus Christi

1830: Samuel and Frederick Mason (Pigot’s)

1839: William Patman (Pigot’s)

1847: Richard Fuller, innkeeper (London Gazette, 4 February 1848)

1852: William Bullen,  inland revenue office (Slaters)

1857: Thomas Robinson, lessee (lease records held at Corpus Christi)

…………..

1861:

Thomas Robinson, inn keeper, 50, b Newmarket
Sarah Robinson, wife, 55, b Lisbon
Francis J Robinson, brewer, 23, b Paris
Alfred Robinson, commercial clerk, 21, b Normandy
Frances C Robinson, 19, b Chantilly France
Frederick L Robinson, commercial clerk, 17, b Chantilly
John Robinson, 10, b Newmarket
Thomas Dunnell, nephew, carver (wood), 25, b Newmarket
William Allend, ostler, 27, b Knapwell
George L Field, boots, 19, b Cambridge

……………

1863: Thomas Robinson, lessee, lease records held by Corpus Christi

………….

1871:

Thomas Robinson, inn keeper, 60, b Newmarket
Sarah Robinson, 65, b Portugal
Frances E Robinson, 29, b France
John Robinson, 20, b Newmarket
Emma Bareford, kitchenmaid, 32, b Swaffham Bulbeck
Charles Webb, boots, 29, b Barton

…………

1879: John Robinson (Post Office Directory)

……….

1881:

John Robinson, innkeeper, 30, b Newmarket
Frances E Robinson, sister, landlady, 36, b Chantilly
Elizabeth Thurlbourn, waitress, 26, b Mepal
Sophie Willmott, kitchen maid, 19, b Orwell
William Mackness, boots, 32, b Finedon Northampton

………….

In 1885 the building was demolished.

………….

1913:

(16-17) Livingstone Commercial Temperance Hotel, Dining Rooms and Restaurant

Edward J Culyer, proprietor

19/10/1929: With the passing of Mrs Eliza Jane Mason of the Livingstone Hotel, Petty Cury, Cambridge has lost a prominent member of the restaurant business. She commenced business with a university lodging house on Market Hill which became known as ‘Masons’ and was converted into a restaurant. It was largely used by cadets and catered for the officers stationed here during the Great War. Almost the first Belgian wounded soldiers were billeted there and she acted as a sort of nursing mother to them. Her next move was to Sadd’s before she bought the Livingstone Hotel which was then only a coffee house. It is now one of the best commercial hotels in Cambridge. She also built the Rendezvous, Magrath Avenue as a skating rink in 1909. (Cam.News)

1962

Kum Loong restaurant

Contribute

Do you have any information about the people or places in this article? If so, then please let us know using the Contact page or by emailing capturingcambridge@museumofcambridge.org.uk.