Capturing Cambridge
  • search
  • Facebook
  • Twitter
Gerald Francis Cobb

The Hermitage, Silver Street

The History ofthe Hermitage, Silver Street

1881: The Hermitage

Stephen Parkinson, 57, doctor of divinity, b Yorks

Elizabeth Lucy, 45, b Birmingham

Susan Mills, 32, cook, b Cheltenham

Kate Cripps, 26, ladys Maid, b Gloucs

Jane Gray, 23, housemaid, b Cambridge

Marsha Brown, 18, kitchenmaid, b Suffolk



Elizabeth Lucy Parkinson, widow, living on her own means [in 1893 Elizabeth married Gerard F Cobb]

Mary Routh, visitor, 19, b Cambs

Kate Cripps, 36, maid

Jane Gray, cook

Mary A Gawthorp, 33, housemaid, b Histon

Sarah J Symonds, 22, kitchen maid, b Teversham

Stewart Nottage, 16, page, b Essex



Gerard Francis Cobb (1838-1904), musical composer, 62, b Kent [junior bursar of Trinity College until his marriage in 1893 when he resigned his position as was the custom]

Another source of information is the MusicWebsite.

Jane Gray, 42, cook, b Cambridge

Sarah Hamdy, 31, housemaid, b Somerset

Elizabeth A Thorogood, 20, kitchenmaid, b Cambs

Reuben Banbrook, 20, footman, b Warwicks

In Period Piece, Gwen Raverat describes the Hermitage and ‘Mrs C’, p82. A drawing of the Monte Cobbeo which Cobb had erected to propose to Elizabeth Parkinson on in the Trinity Fellow’s Garden can be found on the Zanditon website.




1913: The Hermitage

Mrs Gerard Cobb


1962: (21)

R Bagley, grocer


Do you have any information about the people or places in this article? If so, then please let us know using the Contact page or by emailing