Skip to content
  • home
  • map
  • search
Capturing Cambridge
  • search
  • Facebook
  • X
  • Instagram
  • Home
  • /
  • Projects
  • /
  • Centre Cambridge
  • /
  • St Andrew's Street
  • Back Forward
55 St Andrew's Street

55 St Andrew’s Street

55 – 56 St Andrew’s Street, Delaport’s Coffee House

History of 55 - 56 St Andrew's Street

Part of a property which belonged to the diocese of Ely since medieval times. It was probably the site that Mr John Delaport in 1763 “opened a Coffee Room next to Emmanuel College in a pleasant garden.” A long advertisement of this establishment can be found in Cooper’s Annals, iv, 328-9. In 1858 it was purchased by the late Alderman Charles Finch Foster, who built a manse for the Baptist Church opposite. The property was acquired by Emmanuel College in 1899.

(from Outside the Barnwell Gate (1915) p. 32)

Coffee Houses of Cambridge

Two of the public adverts on the Emmanuel Coffee House quoted by Charles Henry Cooper in his Annals of Cambridge vol. 4 pp. 328-329:

Emmanuel Coffee House advert 1763

Emmanuel Coffee House Advert 1763

1861

(56)

William Robinson, 57, Baptist minister, b Beds

(55) office only

Projects

  • St Andrew's Street

Share this article

Share onFacebook Share onBluesky

Contribute

Do you have any information about the people or places in this article? If so, then please let us know using the Contact page or by emailing capturingcambridge@museumofcambridge.org.uk.

Licence

This work is licensed under CC BY-NC-SA 4.0 not including content on external links as indicated byexternal link.

St Andrew's Street

12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, Victoria House, St Andrew’s Street

62 – 63 St Andrew’s Street, The Chequers, Rance’s Folly

64 St Andrew’s Street

audio

St Andrew the Great, Cambridge

video

Parker’s Piece (Pieces), Cambridge

documents

Women of the Spinning House

54, 53, 52, 51 St Andrew’s Street

St Andrew’s Street – Mapping Relief

10 St Andrew’s Street

55 / 55a St Andrew’s Street, Belmont