Search by topic
Search by text
Sy Andrew's Street Baptist Church
St Andrew’s Street Baptist Church
History of St Andrew's Baptist Church Cambridge
According to Pevsner this is ‘1903-4. A good specimen of G Baines and Son’s Neo-Perp with Art Nouveau touches.’
Further information is on the church web site:
Behind the site of the Baptist church had been founded in the reign of Charles II, in Downing Place, an assembly for the Presbyterians, which after a while at the instigation of Joseph Hussey, their pastor, was changed to a gathering for Congregationalism. In 1874 the congregation moved to Trumpington Street where at the northern corner of Little St Mary’s Lane a new Chapel was erected.
In the meantime however, in 1721 a portion of the congregation had broken away and started a Baptist congregation, using as a meeting house a stable and granary in a place called the Stoneyard, the current site of St Andrew’s, next to the Spinning House.