Skip to content
  • home
  • map
  • search
Capturing Cambridge
  • search
  • Facebook
  • X
  • Instagram
  • Home
  • /
  • Projects
  • /
  • Centre Cambridge
  • /
  • Green Street
  • Back Forward
A three-story yellow brick building with a faded sign for Stoakley and Son Bookbinders and a large open ground-floor archway.

30 Green Street, Cambridge

30 – 31 Green Street, Stag’s (Stagg’s) Head Inn

History of 30 - 31 Green Street

1688

The Independent Chapel was opened at the rear of the Stagg’s Head public house. Ity was founded by Independent Congregationalists. They were joined in 1696 by Presbyterians who opposed the reforms of Joseph Hussey and left the chapel in Downing Place, then called Hogg Hill. These new Presbyterians persuaded the existing Congregationalist congregation to become Presbyterians as well.

18th century

Stag’s Head Inn.

In 1721 there was a split in the congregation of the chapel. Some joined the Baptists in the chapel in ‘the Stone Yard’ in St Andrew’s Street. The remaining members reverted to Congregationalism and as ‘Independents’ continued for over a century.

1830

Congregation of the chapel so depleted that remainder of lease offered to Methodist Fitzroy Street Society.

Chapel opened for Wesleyan Methodism. Access to the site behind the pub was considered rather obscure but the chapel flourished. Membership in 1841 was 122 and in. 1845, 300. A new chapel was built in Hobson Street largely driven by the enthusiasm of Charles Vinter.

The premises were next used by the University Union Society and then by the ‘Albert Institute‘, a social club promoting religious instruction and healthy recreation among young men. It was lead by Ernest Boys of Jesus College and others such as Gerald Cobb, Rev Charles Kingsley, Dr Westcott and Dr H R Lugard. (Note: there does seem to be some confusion between Stittle’s Chapel and the Stag’s Head as to the location of the Albert Institute.)

It was next occupied by the ‘Reform Club’, a Radical political society.

1851

(30)

Stephen Robinson, 67, tailor, b Cambridge

(31)

John Ayton, 33, publican, b Suffolk

1861

(30)

Benjamin Hart, 35, bookbinder, b Cambridge

see Bookbinding & Printing

(31)

George Smith Rose, 28, cork manufacturer, b Norwich

1874

(30)

J B Hawes, bookbinder

(31)

George Rose, cork manufacturer

1913

Stoakley & sons, bookbinders

1919

Bookbinders Gray and Son took over Stoakley and Son.  The Stoakley trading sign can still be seen on the wall above the loading entrance to the former Eaden Lilley site.

Black and white wall signage for Stoakley & Son, General & Artistic, painted on brickwork between two vertical sash windows.

30 Green Street, Stoakley trading sign

1962

Eaden Lilley, grocers

2018

?

Yellow brick building facade with a black shop front, large open entrance, and a sign for Stoakley and Son bookbinders.

30 – 31 Green Street, Cambridge (RGL2026)

Tags

  • ghost sign
  • Inn

Projects

  • Green Street

Share this article

Share onFacebook Share onBluesky

Contribute

Do you have any information about the people or places in this article? If so, then please let us know using the Contact page or by emailing capturingcambridge@museumofcambridge.org.uk.

Licence

This work is licensed under CC BY-NC-SA 4.0 not including content on external links as indicated byexternal link.

Green Street

110 (49) Newmarket Road, The Rose and Crown

The Man Loaded with Mischief, 34 Madingley Road

6 Rose Crescent, The Rose Inn / Tavern, Cambridge

12 Green Street, Cambridge

32 Green Street

38 – 39 Green Street, Cambridge

Finch’s Yard, Green Street

24 Green Street, Post Office, The Coffee Pot, Cambridge

16 Green Street

36 Green Street

10 – 11 Green Street, The Highland Piper

4 Green Street

8 – 9 Green Street, The Volunteer, Cambridge