Capturing Cambridge
  • search
  • Facebook
  • Twitter

31 Thompson’s Lane, Clerk’s House

History of 31 Thompson's Lane

1959 Royal Commission on Historical Monuments Survey of Cambridge: on the E it has a continuation of the plinth of no.30, but a straight joint above between the two houses suggests different building phases; general stylistic similarities and the fact that the N half at least of no.31 was originally an annexe of no.30, which it still is, suggest that the lapse between the two phases was short…Inside the cellars have five parallel brick barrel vaults running E to W and a passage on the W.

1841: empty

1851: Joseph Oliver, clerk and traveller

1859: at the time of the auction of the Foster family estate, including ┬áthe brewery and nos. 30 and 29 Thompson’s Lane, no. 31 was lived in by a Mr Oliver and known as the Clerk’s House.

1913:

Henry E Mills, college porter

Edward Parkinson Mills

1962:

Magdalene College Hostel

Contribute

Do you have any information about the people or places in this article? If so, then please let us know using the Contact page or by emailing capturingcambridge@museumofcambridge.org.uk.