Capturing Cambridge
  • search
  • Facebook
  • Twitter

Old Divinity School

History of Old Divinity School, Trinity Street

This was built by Basil Champneys in 1878-9 following a competition in 1876. Pevsner describes it as early Tudor, ‘the treatment lively and not at all pedantic


staircases at both ends, each an intricate play of stone shafts and vaults – forerunners of Champneys’ Rylands Library at Manchester.’

1881

Thomas Hammond, 50, curator, b Surrey

Ann, 45, b Fulham

Frederick, 16, clerk to robemaker, b Cambridge

Thomas, 14, apprentice to chemist, b Cambridge


1891


1901

Thomas Hammond, 70, custodian, b Surrey

Annie Chapman, 44, housekeeper, b Cambs


1911

Frederick Harris, 45, attendant Cambridge University, b Oxford

Louisa, 45, b Cambridge


1913

Selwyn Divinity School

Canon Henry Barclay Swete DD, Regius Professor of Divinity

Frederick Harris, attendant

J F Miller and Sons, Wine Vaults

Contribute

Do you have any information about the people or places in this article? If so, then please let us know using the Contact page or by emailing capturingcambridge@museumofcambridge.org.uk.