Skip to content
  • home
  • map
  • search
Capturing Cambridge
  • search
  • Facebook
  • X
  • Instagram
  • Home
  • /
  • Projects
  • /
  • Fenland
  • /
  • Wisbech
  • Back Forward
Street view in Wisbech with The Ship Defiance pub on the right, brick buildings, parked cars, and a bicycle on the sidewalk.

The Ship Defiance, Old Market, Wisbech, 1957 (Lilian Ream)

Ship Defiance, Old Market, Wisbech

History of Ship Defiance

1846 – 1853 George Cave. Pub was also known as ‘Ship in Defiance.’

1860 – 1872 John Cunnington

1872 William Elener

1873 to let

1885 to let

1886 to let

(source: The Inns and Taverns of Wisbech – a survey from the earliest times to 1950 by Arthur Artis Oldham, 1993)

Tags

  • Public House

Projects

  • Wisbech

Share this article

Share onFacebook Share onBluesky

Contribute

Do you have any information about the people or places in this article? If so, then please let us know using the Contact page or by emailing capturingcambridge@museumofcambridge.org.uk.

Licence

This work is licensed under CC BY-NC-SA 4.0 not including content on external links as indicated byexternal link.

Wisbech

The Railway Vue

The Boot, Dullingham

15 – 16 Sussex Street, Bushel and Strike

2 Union Place, Wisbech

7 North Street, Wisbech

Black Horse, Elm Road, Wisbech

61 North Brink, Wisbech

Unicorn, West Street, Wisbech

44 & 45 Market Place, Wisbech

7 North Brink, Wisbech

The Mermaid Inn, 36 Market Place, Wisbech

4 Union Place, Wisbech

11 The Crescent, Wisbech