Skip to content
  • home
  • map
  • search
Capturing Cambridge
  • search
  • Facebook
  • X
  • Instagram
  • Home
  • /
  • Projects
  • /
  • Museum of Cambridge
  • /
  • Museum Exhibit Stories
  • Back Forward
Painted sign of a knight in armor on a horse above a dragon, with The George & Dragon written on a red ribbon banner.

The George and Dragon, sign from 1956

The George / The George and Dragon / La Mimosa, Richmond Terrace

History of George and Dragon

1871 (22) The Spade and Bucket

James Collen, 77, publican milkman, b Isleham
Susannah, 58, b Suffolk
Solomon Burton, 39, labourer, b Dry Drayton
Ann Burton, 30, laundress, b Fen Drayton


1884 The Spade and Bucket

1895 The George

1913 The George Hotel, James J Leng proprietor

1934 The George and Dragon

1962 The George and Dragon

A brick building with boarded-up windows and arched doorways, featuring a George and Dragon pub sign on a corner post.

The George and Dragon 1971 (Peter Soar)

A two-story brick building with boarded-up windows and doors, featuring a central pub sign and a person standing on the right.

The George and Dragon, Thompsons Lane. Derelict. (MoC56/75)

Two-storey brick building with a bay window, multiple arched doorways, and a prominent hanging pub sign on the upper facade.


1970s refurbished and reopened under old name, Spade and Becket.

A brick building with bay windows sits behind a lawn with a path, a dark wooden outbuilding, and two figures walking nearby.

George and Dragon, Thompsons Lane, 1974 (MoC57/75)

2019 La Mimosa restaurant

 

Tags

  • Museum of Cambridge Exhibit
  • Peter Soar
  • Public House

Projects

  • Museum Exhibit Stories
  • Thompson's Lane

Share this article

Share onFacebook Share onBluesky

Contribute

Do you have any information about the people or places in this article? If so, then please let us know using the Contact page or by emailing capturingcambridge@museumofcambridge.org.uk.

Licence

This work is licensed under CC BY-NC-SA 4.0 not including content on external links as indicated byexternal link.

Museum Exhibit Stories

King William IV, 1 & 3 High Street, Fenstanton

Bell Farm, Little End, Eaton Socon

20 Church End, (The Rose, The Rose and Crown), Kitchens Farmhouse, Gamlingay

Barnwell Abbey Schools, 31 River Lane

12 Grange Road, Berry Croft / Lady Margaret Convent / Margaret Beaufort Institute of Theology

Rampton vagrancy sign

331 Newmarket Road, Shakespeare Cottages, Stirbitch Theatre

3 Hooper Street, Jubilee House (Edinburgh House)

7 St Andrew’s Hill, Cambridge

21 Warkworth Street, Cambridge

Redcourt, 4 Adams Road

164 (72) Newmarket Road, Brown’s Yard

video

Rick’s Radical Mugs