Skip to content
  • home
  • map
  • search
Capturing Cambridge
  • search
  • Facebook
  • X
  • Instagram
  • Home
  • /
  • Projects
  • /
  • Huntingdon­shire
  • /
  • Brampton
  • Back Forward
A village street scene in 1917 featuring a stone obelisk on a grass verge near a building and a horse-drawn cart in the road.

The Obelisk, Brampton – 1917

The Obelisk, Brampton

History of the Obelisk

Listed Building

Milepost, mid C18 trianguar obelisk, surmounted by ball finial.

A weathered stone obelisk topped with a spherical finial stands on a roadside verge in front of a white house and hedge.

Obelisk, Brampton (RGL2025)

A lichen-covered stone obelisk with two carved hands pointing directions and the text To The Prom and To Huntingdon.

A weathered, lichen-covered stone obelisk topped with a sphere, inscribed with 60 LONDON against a cloudy sky.

Obelisk, Brampton (RGL2025)

A stone obelisk stands on a roadside verge near a junction with traffic, road signs, and a row of yellow brick houses.

The Obelisk, Brampton – 2022

The entry on the Historic England site describes the post as “Milepost, mid C18 triangular obelisk, surmounted by ball finial. On a square base with moulded upper edge. The plinth has been repaired. South east face with hand pointing TO THRAPSTON TO HUNTINGDON and south west face also with hand pointing TO LONDON.

It is quite a thing to think this milepost has been at this spot for the best part of 300 years and would have been there at the height of the stagecoach era prior to the invention of the railways.

First picture is a postcard posted in 1917. The building in the background was the Royal Oak public house which closed and was demolished sometime in the 1970’s. Second picture taken this morning. Third and fourth pictures show the detail on the milepost.

(Thanks to David Gent)

Then and Now

A village street scene in 1917 featuring a stone obelisk on a grass verge near a building and a horse-drawn cart in the road.A stone obelisk stands on a roadside verge near a junction with traffic, road signs, and a row of yellow brick houses.

Tags

  • Listed building
  • Then and Now

Projects

  • Brampton

Share this article

Share onFacebook Share onBluesky

Contribute

Do you have any information about the people or places in this article? If so, then please let us know using the Contact page or by emailing capturingcambridge@museumofcambridge.org.uk.

Licence

This work is licensed under CC BY-NC-SA 4.0 not including content on external links as indicated byexternal link.

Brampton

Finella, The Yews, Queen’s Road

8 Market Place, Wisbech

Meadow Farm, 9 Broad End, Elsworth

Black Bull, Brampton

Manor Cottage, Church Road, Brampton

56 & 58 High Street, Brampton

44 High Street, Brampton

32 West End, Brampton

Kents House, 49 High Street, Brampton

Brampton Data

37 High Street, Brampton

Brampton Mill

Burnaby Cottage, 17 Church Road, Brampton